Notices

Advice: Cappodocia or the Coast

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice: Cappodocia or the Coast

Every year I try and go somewhere unique. This year its Turkey. I would love advice on which region would be the most interesting to see. I will only be in Turkey for 9 days. Three of which will be in Istanbul. I love beaches and scuba diving however reading all the responses on Cappodocia I am torn!! HELP.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Hi kcless,

9 days is not enough for Turkey BUT After Istanbul or before Istanbul CAPPADOCIA is one of the best and nice place then you may go to Antalya or Bodrum for your diving

Have fun

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM
sandi

With 6-days remaining you can do both Cappadoccia and the towns along he Aegean - 3-days each. The only problem is the distances.

You can fly from IST to both Cappadocca and the Aegean area, except that you'd probably have to transit thru IST for both. Do not believe there are flights from either the Aegean towns to Cappadoccia and vice versa. And doing this would probably eat up 1-day for flying, leaving 5 days.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:25 PM

If you have to choose between Cappadoccia and the beach, please choose Cappadoccia. It is by far the most unusual scenery I have every seen. It tops my list of landscapes. Beaches can be lovely but they are everywhere. You will never see the fairy chimneys anywhere else (that I know of). Fabulous.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Three days Istanbul, fly to Keyseri and do three nights in Cappodocia, then fly to Antalya for three nights on the coast. Couldn't be better (except to spend more time.)
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:07 AM

We spent 9 days in Turkey, 4 in Istanbul, 2 in Cappadocia, 1 to travel and 2 in Side on the Med. coast so all three can be done in one trip.

I don't think you can fly directly between Kayseri (Cappadocia) and Antalya (Med. coast) or Izmir (Aegean coast), all flights are routed back through Istanbul. I believe that all inter Turkey flights are on Turkish Air, you can check their website to see if this is still true.

We drove between Cappadocia and the Med. coast, it was pretty much an all day thing with an added stop in Konya. If you were not interested in driving, there is probably also bus service but it will likely take a full day of travel and it might be easier just to fly even with the connection in Istanbul.

If you have to decide between the two, I would give the edge to Cappadocia, the landscape there is truly unique. On the other hand, I really enjoyed visiting the ruin sites along the Med. coast and the ruins at Ephesus (seen on a previous trip) on the Aegean coast is one of the most amazing places I've been!

Haven't been much help I'm afraid
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 07:08 AM

Well its not impossible to do all in 9 full days and still enjoy without exhoust yourself...

If the money is not a big question ;
THY ( turkish airlines ) have 2 flights daily from istanbul to kayseri additionally private company also flies daily afternoons.

The worst case you stay 1 night less at one of the places.
It takes a bit of study. Driving to Antalya is about 5,5 hours and one can also take a driver to take you there if don't want to drive and/or flight scedule is not suitable.

I also strongly recommend Cappadocia as a must seen place if especially TURKEY is this years choice for your unique destination ( which is believe me )

Hope it all works out as desired. Should you need any further info we are here.

Best regards,

Murat
[email protected]
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:11 AM

Hi Murat,

Please be carefull about giving information to the people who is going to Turkey PLEASE.

Cappadocia (Nevsehir) to Antalya IS NOT 5.5 HOURS, Almost TAKES 7 or 8 HOURS.

Please

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:28 PM

I, too, would say visit Cappadocia first and then see about exploring the coast. I think it's possible to visit the coast, too, and though it is a full-day trip to Antalya (or other towns) by car, it's not unmanageable. Another possibility is to fly back to Istanbul and then fly to Izmir; you can then spend the rest of the time in Kusadasi. You can visit Ephesus and other sites or spend time on the water.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:07 PM

Nancy hit it right on the head - there are thousands of beautiful beaches all over the world - but there is only one Cappadocia! My wife and I also love diving, but our time on the Turkish Coast was spent exploring all the classical sites. Given all the scenic wonders of Turkey and the wonderful people - this time we felt we just had to stay on land! Have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:34 AM

Hi Sinan Bey,

I assure you when I give comments and advice think twice... I drive at least 3 times to Antalya from Cappadocia. 556 km.s from Urgup to Central Antalya where Ataturk Statue is. With 30 min. breake in between takes me 6 hrs. by car with an average speed of 100/110 kms./hr

When we talk about Antalya actually Manavgat or Side is also included for sea shore facilities and can be done even in 5 hrs. Ofcourse by bus 11 hrs. but to be driven or drive on worst case is 6 hrs. just to be more exact.

Regards to NY from Half Sunny Cappadocia.

Murat

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:01 AM

Here is the DIFFERENCE between Turkish and Foreign or Tourist who want to go to Turkey and want to drive in Turkey.

He is talking about driving 100 KM or 110 KM per hour which is higher speed then legal driving, because LAW in Turkey say that you can not drive not more then 90 KM per hour if you do you can get TICKET. HOW MUCH MURAT? let me tell you more then $100 and it's up to your speed. Forget driving direct to Manavgat or whatever you say on the coast DON'T YOU REST yes Turkish Drivers NEVER REST, or I have to say TURKISH MEN NEVER STOP. You know what I mean, SO I re-write you again here when you post or give some advise PLEASE THINK TWICE, Do you know WHY? because the people you are directing are not TURKISH they are tourist and they don't know how much CRAZY DRIVERS we have in Turkey.

This is not the place to discus BUT if you give wrong information here, (You or other Turkish friends doesn't matter) I ALWAYS CORRECT IT. Because I LOVE MY COUNTRY better then everybodies in Turkey.

BYE from COLD COLD COLD and COLD NY

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM

BYE THE WAY

New York tan BUTUN KAPADOKYALILARA
"IYI BAYRAMLAR DILERIM"

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM

Now boys.....no fighting !!

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM

I am not fighting MARKO.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:16 AM

No guys there is no fight but difference on perceptions and ideas only....

Sinan you don't pay 100 Usd for a ticket if you do not drive over 120 Kms. I did not understand about Turkish man difference. Here I see some conflict you say You Love your country more than anybody else here in Turkey !!!!! Buy this style of writing I believe we give a wrong impression to readers, don't you think so Sinan ?

Loving the country so much issue is relevant; it wouldn't be correct if I did say I love my country more than you thats why I live in my country but why don't you ? and I live all the difficulties and I still live here.... would not show you love your country less, would it ?
I do really give either a break of 30 minutes or 2 breakes of 15 minutes. We all know the speed limits : Highways with seperate lanes 120, normal roads 90. On the Konya plateau of over 100 km.s straight I saw no one driving 90 so far including policeman himself. You are very right one should drive carefully....

By saying coastal Antalya actually I meant Side or Manavgat which makes 1 hour driving distance to Antalya city.

Just wanted to be clear on the POINT....

Thanks for the nice wishes ; iyi bayramlar to you and family too.

Murat