Advance tickets to Rome Colliseum, Formum, etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2018, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - Time is ticking away; we leave in about three weeks! Want to get our tickets for the Forum, etc. in advance. When I Google this, I get a lot of companies with various options, packages, etc. We just want to do our own thing, just need simple entrance tickets. Can someone suggest the best place to buy these? Thank you!
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 07:08 AM

There are several combined attractions passes in Rome that allow you to skip lines and that also include public transportation. When I went to Rome, I used the Roma Pass and thought it was a good deal. But there is also a combined Vatican/Rome Attraction pass called the Omnia card. Roma Pass allows free entry to the first two attractions and discounts to others. If you are going to the Borghese Gallery and the Colosseum or the Capitoline Museum, then it's a good deal because those three are rather expensive and cover the cost; Roma pass includes public transit in Rome. But you need to go to at least 4 things within 72 hours to pay for the pass. (The Borghese Gallery requires a reservation.)

The Omnia pass includes the major sights, the Vatican museums, as well as a hop-on/hop-off bus. But it's much more expensive than the Roma pass.

If it were me, I'd skip the Omnia card and pay extra to have a quieter private small-group tour of the Vatican museums and Sistine Chapel. These are very expensive ($400 minimum) but well worth the money. When I visited, the chapel it was so crowded that I didn't really enjoy it. These private tours go after hours, so you have the place almost to yourself. If I wanted to splurge, that's what I'd pay for in Rome, and then I'd get the Roma pass for the rest.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug! Great info. However, we're only in Rome for two days. We plan to only see the Forum, Colosseum, Palatine Hill, etc. Just that area. We only want tickets to these sites. Mostly we plan to simply walk around and hang out before flying back to the states.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 07:48 AM

Simple tickets to cover your sites at their official ticket site:
https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm
Choose the first one "Entrance Ticket."
The Stern Entrance is for groups with tour guide. "Access to the Stern Entrance, in front of Via Labicana.Groups have to show the list on letterhead from the agency, containing the participants’ names and dates of birth. Licensed tourist guides have to show a signed declaration with the participants’ names and related dates of birth."
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Greg! That may just be the ticket!

EDIT: Honestly I still don't get this. Do you have to actually schedule your time? I was hoping we could meander and go to these monuments as time unfolds. Can I just get the tickets for the 2 days we'll be there and can we just go when we want to go? I probably sound idiotic, but it's not totally clear to me. Thanks again!

Last edited by Rocket79; Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I think I get it now. Have to get a time for the Colloseum, but the other sites are come as you wish on the given days.... Right?
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 02:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My recollection is that the long lines for tickets are at the Colosseum. My last visit my target was the forum area and there was no line whatsoever, I walked right up to the window. I believe the tickets are a combined one for both sites, check the official website.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 03:40 AM

I recommend getting a timed ticket. The Colosseum can be mobbed and the Roman Forum was crowded when we went in the Spring even toward the end of the day. The underground tour of the Colosseum is really fascinating and they only allow a limited number in at a time to see that so you can enjoy it more. We visited the Colosseum with the underground tour first tour of the day, saw other things in the area then went back to see the Forum and Palatine Hill later in the day. I think the ticket is good for two days though if you wanted to split it up.

Try to also get over to the Baths of Caracalla if you can--completely uncrowded and interesting.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the input. Too many things swirling around in my little brain!! Do you need a special ticket for the underground part of the Colosseum?
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 03:07 PM

Rocket79--Yes it is a special timed ticket. If you follow the link greg provided you can choose the underground option if you want to do that tour. There is also the belevedere tour where you climb up to the top also a restricted access. We didn't do that one we only did the underground tour and the general area.

If you are touring the area around the Colosseum, as I mentioned before the Baths of Caracalla are not too far away. Closer in are the churches Basilica Saint Clemente and St Peter in Chains. We enjoyed both of those as mentioned in our recent trip report. Enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again - just got our tickets for the first morning we're in town. Just the basic ticket, though, I don't think we have underground access, but that's OK!