Search

Adriatic coast

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adriatic coast

We have been to Italy 7 times and have been in the north, west and as far south as Amalfi.

Been to the hill towns of Tuscany but we have never been on the Adriatic side of the country. We like small towns with greenery. We stay away from large cities. Can anyone suggest on the Adriatic side or the eastern portion of Italy.

Thanks
Orrin
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM

If you are thinking of Puglia, there are several very good trip reports on this site that you can pull up (mine is one of them). With the exception of Bari, where we have not been or Brindisi maybe, I don't think there are ANY large cities in the area. All of it are small towns, each beautiful in their own way, fabulous food, much less expensive than other more touristed areas of Italy. When are you going? For your information, if you visit in the summer months, I hear it is quite crowded as Italians themselves use this area for their own vacations but when we visited during the month of May it was perfect. Enjoy.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM

Hello oinchats, I am getting ready for bed so I will make this short but along the Adriatic is the city of Ravenna which if you enjoy mosaics should be pleasing to visit. Bari is a city that is interesting and although some do not want to visit there if you Google it you will find it is an interesting place to visit. Pescara is a lovely city and the seaside (the Adriatic Coast) has lovely beaches and seaside restaurants. Just three thoughts. Flame is correct, August finds Italians who can get away either going to the seaside or to the mountains. When will you be visiting Italy?
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 05:34 AM

If you like small towns with greenery, I highly recommend Le Marche as the best of both worlds, beautiful small hilltowns inland and some amazing beach venues. Plus wonderful food and wine everywhere.

This is very good webiste rich with pictures and itineraries for the region.

http://www.le-marche.com/Marche/html/essential.htm
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM

We will be in the Le Marche region the end of June and the nearest beach on the Adriatic will be Fano. Are there lots of seaside seafood restaurants in that area and also how are the beaches for swimming?
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We are going May 10 and returning June 10. We will go again in Sept. We avoid Europe in July and August. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM

cornelius,

If you are not going to seaside towns in Le Marche you will probably not encounter seafood restaurants inland unless they are very pricey. In general, all Italian cuisine is VERY local.