Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Acropolis Museum - is it necessary to buy tickets in advance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2022, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Greece on May 12!!!! I can't wait. Athens is our last stop. I plan on buying skip the line tickets for the Acropolis. Is it necessary to buy advance tickets for the Acropolis Museum? Does it get the long lines like the Louvre or D'Orsay? The reason I ask is that we prefer not to have every day scheduled in advance. And right now I don't know if we would want to go to the Acropolis Museum the same day that we visit the Acropolis or the next day. We take our time visiting sites, so I know we won't rush through the Acropolis and we like to take tons of photos. So after spending a lot of time at the Acropolis (will go in the morning), we might want to spend that afternoon just wandering through some neighborhoods. Or we might not; we might decide (on the spur of the moment) to visit the Museum in the afternoon.

Thank you for everyone's help! I know I have an amazing trip planned with the help of the Fodors community!
Old May 2nd, 2022, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

What have people found is the best way to visit the Acropolis? So we understand what we are seeing. Hiring a private guide? Sometimes we hire private guides or take group tours, but sometimes we like to be on our own and go at our own pace.

We also like using audioguides. But if we buy our Acropolis tickets online to avoid waiting in long ticket lines, does renting an audioguide mean waiting in the same long line or a different long line?

Do they sell Acropolis guidebooks? Or hand out informational brochures with the tickets?
Old May 2nd, 2022, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
What have people found is the best way to visit the Acropolis? So we understand what we are seeing. Hiring a private guide? Sometimes we hire private guides or take group tours, but sometimes we like to be on our own and go at our own pace.

We also like using audioguides. But if we buy our Acropolis tickets online to avoid waiting in long ticket lines, does renting an audioguide mean waiting in the same long line or a different long line?

Do they sell Acropolis guidebooks? Or hand out informational brochures with the tickets?
Karen, we’ll be a family group of seven and will have a guide for the Acropolis, I will buy our tickets this weekend, or early next week. We’ll also have a guide at Delphi, again we buy the tickets just a couple of days ahead.

The Acropolis museum I’m going to play by the ear, from what I understand it’s not as crowded as the Acropolis and easier to just walk up and get tickets. We’ll see how we feel after the Acropolis visit, and who actually wants to see the museum.

I haven’t looked at the Acropolis website, but I think you should be able to book the audio guide at the same time as your tickets. You may want to take a look ahead of your visit, even if you wait for your actual purchase.

I know you’ll have a perfectly wonderful vacation, you have put a lot of thought and planning into it. We’re almost at the end of our Italian sojourn, two more days in Naples before we fly to Athens on Thursday!

Old May 2nd, 2022, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Geetika, thanks for your helpful response! Who are you hiring for a guide for the Acropolis? I sent an email to Athens-Walks to get some info from them. We might take your approach towards the Acropolis Museum. I know we want to visit it, but not sure yet if we will do it all in the same day, or wait until the next morning. So I'd prefer not to buy tickets in advance for the museum.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:14 PM

A thread I just found with some useful info, you may want to check it out. There’s a combo ticket for several sites which isn’t date specific, that could be an option…

Acropolis and Acropolis Museum Question!
Old May 3rd, 2022, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I purchased my tickets for the Acropolis from their site. I also booked a two-hour guided tour of the Acropolis with Athens-Walks. Their fee, 30 euros per person, does not include the entrance tickets. And the best part is that our hotel is about a one-minute walk from their office!
Old May 3rd, 2022, 05:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I urge you to visit the Acropolis Museum. It was not open yet on our first trip to Athens but we did go on our second visit. Well done, quite interesting, highly recommend a visit,
On our first trip to Athens we learned a lot at the Archeological zMuseum and recommend it too. Treasures excavated st the archeological sites throughout Greece are on display there,from Mycenae, Delphi, Santorini,
Old May 3rd, 2022, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr, I definitely plan on visiting the Acropolis Museum. Just not sure if I want to purchase tickets in advance. We like to be spontaneous sometimes. When were you there? Were the lines very long? The Archeological Museum sounds great, too!
Old May 3rd, 2022, 11:45 PM

I purchased my tickets for the Acropolis from their site. I also booked a two-hour guided tour of the Acropolis with Athens-Walks. Their fee, 30 euros per person, does not include the entrance tickets. And the best part is that our hotel is about a one-minute walk from their office!
Karen, suggest you meet your guide as early as possible, our rdv is for 8am when the Acropolis opens. This way we’ll be ahead of the tour buses and also beat the midday heat. There’s no shade in the Acropolis complex, so you’ll have the sun beating down on you as the day advances.

We plan on walking down to the Agora after our tour, probably stop for a cool drink and perhaps brunch around noon. Then figure out what we want to do for the rest of the day, maybe the Acropolis museum late afternoon if we’re up to it. We’d have had a long trip to Delphi and back the previous day and don’t want to cram everything together.
Old May 4th, 2022, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Geetika, Are you in Athens now? Our tour is for 9:00AM. Our hotel and Athens-Walks office is about 5 minutes from the Acropolis.
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:11 AM

Geetika, Are you in Athens now? Our tour is for 9:00AM. Our hotel and Athens-Walks office is about 5 minutes from the Acropolis.
Our last day in Naples, we fly to Athens tomorrow, meet up with my husband and brother, pick up our car and drive to Nafplio for three days. Then three more in Santorini and Athens at the end for four days. My nephew and girlfriend join us for Santorini and Athens, we then fly back to our respective homes.
Old May 4th, 2022, 11:09 AM

Please share any Nafplio must-dos. I'll be there in July for the first time and would love any suggestions. Thanks - Silvia
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by nylilly
Please share any Nafplio must-dos. I'll be there in July for the first time and would love any suggestions. Thanks - Silvia
We’re planning a day each to Epidaurus and Nemea, Mycenae and Nafplio.