Search

Acqua alta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Jim

Acqua alta

I will be in Venice the first week in October. Apparently, there is an unusually high tide in the fall that actually floods the Piazza San Marco. Should I be concerned about that in early October?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:23 PM
xxx

Do you know how to swim?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Book Chick

Jim, <BR>Acqua alta season usually begins in October & ends in April. But....in early October I'm not so sure you should panic. <BR> <BR>Piazza San Marco isn't the only part of the city that floods; it just floods first & fastest because it's topographically the lowest part of the town. The further into late fall/early winter you get, the greater your risk is. So November is riskier than October, March riskier than April, etc. <BR> <BR>The city puts wooden planks all over town & wooden walkways that are elevated. I would not hit the panic button over the whole situation. Bring an umbrella, and if you like, a pair of "Totes" that are rubberized & fit over your shoes. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR>BC

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Frank

Jim: The "official" Acqua Alta season is October through January, so you might have a problem but I wouldn't worry. Even in the event you get a high tide, it would probably only be for a day or two and the Venetians are well equip to handle it. Have fun and enjoy it.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:58 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Jim <BR>Was in Venice last November 6th during <BR>an unusual high water, it reached about <BR>1 meter in the Pza S. Marco, in our <BR>hotel the Saturnia, we had six inches <BR>of water in the hotel lobby, when we <BR>heard the siren go off about three in <BR>the afternoon, we went and purchased <BR>rubber boots at about 20,000ITL each, <BR>and used them off and on for the next <BR>three days...Some hotels stock boots <BR>for their guests and would suggest ask <BR>them upon checkin if they do have them. <BR>It totally was a educational but pleasant experience in all. We even <BR>had dinner that night in a flooded <BR>ristorante.. Richard of LaGrange Park,Il..