Accomodations in Venice

Jan 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Accomodations in Venice

we are a family of 4 looking for accomodations in Venice for 5 nights in late Feb. I have spent hours searching and have one possible - Eur 106 in Castello. Before booking thought I would ask if anyone has any thoughts on the area / price etc. We would like to be centrally located and a patio or windows with a view would be nice. I don't think this one has any view but the price is right. $200/night would be our max.

Thank-you
Jan 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
RJD

Castello is a fine area, close to St. Marks but out of the worst of the throng. Good vaparetto connections and some fine restaurants too. The price of 106 euros is low but it's hard to judge value wihout more specifics. A patio and view at that price are going to be tough.
Jan 13th, 2010, 05:32 PM

This place might work. It has a bedroom with double bed, and a fold out sofa in the living room. The second floor apartment is booked from Nov 20th to January 8th (by us). We've stayed there before, and found it comfortable, well located and warm. Close to shops, and 15 or 20 minutes walk to San Marco.

A link to the apartment is here: http://realvenicevacationflats.com/

Owner lives in San Francisco, and is good to deal with.
Jan 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM

http://www.piccologuerrato.com/

Stella51, this is where we stay when in Venice. It is an apartment owned by the Pension Guerrato (small owner/operator hotel by the open air market). The apartment is about 2 blocks from St. Marks. Side windows overlook the little square of San Zulian; San Zulian church there; check your Venice map to see the location. End window overlooks the street leading to St. Marks - fun to sit & watch the folks going back & forth. So it is a great location.

It has spartan furnishings; definitely not plush lodging. No bath tub, only a shower. No TV; no phone; we don't need a tv; we use our cell phone. There is a main bedroom with closet, door for privacy, & 2 windows that overlook the San Zulian square. The other room is a kitchen with table & 4 chairs, sink, refrig (don't remember if there is a stove), microwave. On the other side of the kichen area are 2 single beds (that's where our son sleeps). There are 3 windows in the kitchen/twin bed room. The bath is roomy. Housekeeping is provided every 3rd day; get enough towels to last 3 days.

You enter the apartment from the street; you get key for private door. Up one flight of stairs to locked apartment door; you get key, of course. There are no others in this building.

You go to the Pension Guerrato hotel to checkin & out. You can visit or call the front desk there for assistance, if needed.

We haven't been able to beat the price; don't know what it would be for Feb. The first time we got 2 price quotes - a cheaper one for cash.

Good luck & enjoy your trip, Julie
Jan 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM

This apartment, Ai Pugni, is very well located (Dorsoduro), large, and is very well maintained. The owner is terrific to work with. Not sure of the rates (it depends on the time of year), but I think it is within your budget. Email the owner, Anna, and she will respond quickly. I highly recommend the area and the apartment.

http://www.palazzofoscarini.com/pugni/en/index.php
Jan 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Look at the apts. at Corte Grimani--varied floor plans.
Jan 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM

My family of 5 (DH, DD, 2 teen-aged grandsons and myself) spent 4 days in Venice over Christmas. We rented this apartment http://www.vrbo.com/182027. It was very affordable, very comfortable (2 bedrooms, one with queen-sized bed and the other with two fulls, plus a fainting couch and sofa--might be a sofabed--in the small living room). The location was terrific. We walked almost everywhere and came home each day to this secluded little area. It's on a canal (a must for me) and gondolas came through days and evenings singing under our windows. Really loved it! There's no phone, but it does have free wifi.

One thing that was fun: Our vaporetto stop was S.M. Giglio. This is one of the few that have the old Vaporettos you can take across the Grand Canal for just a coin. Directly across the canal is Santa Maria della Salute so it makes for a great way to "land" there to visit it. Also, next to the church is the small alley that takes you to the Peggy Guggenheim.

Enjoy Venice!
Jan 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM

Dang, MelJ. I did not see this one on VRBO and the week we need is still open. However, I've already booked another apartment. This one looks great for the price.

Alas, it will have to go on the books for next trip.

P
Jan 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM

EURO106 for 4 persons is quute low even for low winter season. Where is it located? Castello is a large area, starting approximatively right behind Basilica San Marco and go far to the east toward Giardini. What is the name? Perhpas some of us know the place. Also have you checked tripadvisor.com ? Just to find pros and cons about the place.
Jan 14th, 2010, 02:52 AM

We stayed in Corte 1321 and we loved it. It is a B&B, breakfast is served in their inner patio.

http://www.corte1321.com/en
Jan 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

The location of the place I am looking at is Castello 2310
Calle de la Pegola. Anyone know about this location? Also just checked out the VRBO suggestion and only part of our stay is available darn it! It did look good so I will look further into VRBO. Also checked out Pension Guerrato and have sent an inquiry. They note that Breakfast is included? I forgot to mention a cash quote
Jan 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM

marigross, we also stayed at Corte 1321 and LOVED it! Wonderful, clean, beautifully decorated, American-mother/daughter owners.

They may very well have a room that sleeps 4. You might inquire.

Paula
Jan 15th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Once I went with some friends in Venice and we stayed at Palazzo Guardi, a nice B&B near the city centre. We had a big quadruple room and the hotel is within walking distance to Saint Mark Square
http://www.palazzoguardivenice.com/
Jan 15th, 2010, 07:01 AM

For those who are interested, the Castello location is between the Arsenale vaporetto stop and the Arsenale gate.
Jan 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM

My brain is oatmeal. Just read a trip report in last few days. Another Fodorite stayed at Palazzo Guardi and said it was decent location, good price, nice people, had a view on the canal. I think he said to ask for room #4. Perhaps if you search here for "Palazzo Guardi", you can find the info. Sorry for oatmeal brain!

Good luck!
Jan 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Just came across a site www.veniceapartments.org. Has anyone dealt with them before? The prices are great but I am not sure.

Thanks.
Jan 18th, 2010, 04:09 AM

Our family of 4 stayed here 4 years ago and were very happy with apartment and all communications with owner. Great location and very comfortable.

Found at www.vrbo.com

"Casa Veronica" Apartment in the Heart of Venice - Venice VRBO [#35041]
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM

We have used veniceapartments.org with good luck in the past. Good people to deal with, respond quickly to e-mail etc.
Jan 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Bookmarking!
Jan 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering...What does Bookmarking mean?

Search this Thread