Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodations in the Countryside of Burgundy

Apr 1st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Seeking recommendations for good hotels/inns/chateaux in the countryside of Burgundy, preferably in the general area between Dijon and Beaune. Looking for a base for our 3 day visit to the region at the very end of May 2009.

Many thanks in advance.

A.
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM

You might want to check out the town of Puligny Montrachet which is located just outside Beaune. It is small, beautiful and has several very good restaurants.

We have visited this area twice and have stayed at Hotel La Chouette. The hotel is lovely. Be sure to ask for the room with a balcony. The view over the vines is just wonderful. I would go back in a heartbeat!!

Also I can highly recommend Burgundy Discovery Wine tours. The tour is really very good and will give you a good understanding of the food and wines in the area.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. This area of France is one of our favorites!!
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM

Abbaye de la Ferte is quite close to Beaune. We stayed there in Oct. 2007, in their "Porterie". We paid 90 E a night B&B --breakfast is served in the palatial Abbaye itself, whereas the Porterie is the old gatehouse to the property.

Our B&B accomodation, on 3 floors, comprised: entrance hall; sitting room with fireplace; large bedroom with stone walls and beamed ceiling; and a bathroom of dimensions similar to the sitting room, with freestanding bathtub, beams, etc.

More "atmosphere" than you could throw a stick at. Al lately renovated with great taste and a real eye to comfort.

Here are a couple of photos. And if you're not sold, I can't help you, LOL!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1126123095

Apr 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM

Hell, here's a photo of the Abbaye, while we're at it.

It is conveniently located on a good, fast road but quite unaffected by any noise:

Apr 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM

Hi; This site has information on Burgundy. www.burgundyeye.com iris1745/dick
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM

In Avallon, we like The Moulin des Ruats
and The Hotel de la Poste..
La Poste is in the center of town,
The Ruats in the wooded area by a delightful stream.
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM

I stayed in Septemeber of 2006 at the Chateau de Bellecroix in Chagny, which is 10 miles south of Beaune. An atmospheric inn, which formerly was a "commanderie" for the Knights of Malta back in the 12th century. The buildings were modified back in the 18th century. It is located off the N6 but is recessed about 100 yards or so, so very little road noise is heard. My room was in turret on the 3rd floor; delightful room. There is also a restaurant on the premises, although it is pricey for what you get. You'd be better off eating in Beaune..
Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM

If you choose the Château de Bellecroix, be sure to determine whether you are required to have dinner in their restaurant. That was the policy when we stayed there--not good, as we wanted to eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant nearby.
Sep 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Has anyone stayed further south, perhaps nearer to Macon? We have two days between apartments, and thought we would do one of two things, either stay in Southern Burgundy for the two days, or travel to the Auvergne for two days, on our way to Sarlat. They both have their appeal. Any suggestions?
Sep 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM

The area around Cluny, just NW of Macon, is delightful. We had a great dinner -- traditional French service and food, which I loved -- at the Hotel de Bourgogne in Cluny. It is right alongside the Cathedral ruins.

Never stayed in the hotel though -- but it looked quite nice on the website. At that time we stayed in a very nice B&B that is no longer operating, alas.

We have also stayed several times at a small hotel across the Saone (ie due N of Macon), in Pont de Vaux.

Le Raisin would not suit everyone. The rooms are mostly in a modern annex attached to the hotel. The rooms are quite large, bright, clean and quiet but without character. Like a Holiday Inn.

We go there, as do many others, for the food: The richest, heaviest, most traditional Burgundian cuisine -- it would be stodgy if it weren't so exquisitely prepared and served, by friendly young servers under the eagle eye of Madame.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM

I live in Paris and go to Beaune several times a year to cycle between Beaune and Chalon sur Soane. I always stay in Beaune where there are many hotels and much more to do than in the tiny villages. I would be bored silly making my base in the smaller villages. Your mileage may vary.

Larry J