Accomodations in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could use some suggestions regarding affordable accomodadtions for a family in Scotland (Skye, near Inverness, Edinburgh). There are two adults and two girls (age 10 & 14). B&Bs I'm finding are in the range of 54 pounds per night per person.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Also...meant to ask for thoughtsabout/exprience with youth hostels
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Do you mean B&B in hotels or guesthouses/private homes? Hotels are twice the price for too often poor breakfasts.(instant coffee etc.)
try:
http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk
(this Inverness page links to all the other areas)
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Guest houses and private homes.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM

We stayed at a hotel - the Fountaincourt EQ2. It was more pricey - but we also had a kitchen (and Edinburgh is sooo pricey to eat out), we ate dinner in each night and it saved us a lot of money (and they had some breakfast items in the fridge).

There were B&B's right around the corner, a whole bunch of them.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

What is the best source for finding B&Bs? Is a typical cost going to be in the 50 pounds per person per night range? Any experience with Hostels?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:11 AM

We stayed in the Chester Residence in Edinburgh this summer. It was perfect - we stayed in the two bedroom apt. We had the whole top floor to ourselves. A little kitchen, big living room and two separate baths. I would go back in a heartbeat. Also, it was in a very safe area and just a short walk to all the sites.

www.chester-residence.com
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM

nelcarp...on another thread asking for similar information, I recommned the Greenside Hotel on Royal Terrace...I think you can beat the 54 euros and it is a clean, comfortable, close-in lodging.

Stu T.

http://www.townhousehotels.co.uk/hotels/greenside.html
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Undiscovered Scotland was a good resource for our recent trip. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

There are lots of B&Bs for much less than 54 GBP per person. Pick the town or area you want to stay in and do a general web search, for example 'Skye B&B'.

We stayed at Swordale House B&B near Broadford on Skye for 25 GBP pp last year. It was a little more expensive than some of the other places we stayed. I found that place from the Isle of Skye website http://www.ealaghol.co.uk/
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:44 AM

For B&B's in Britain, www.smoothhound.co.uk is a good source, though not quite so good for Scotland. I also rely on www.theaa.com and www.via-michelin.com. For more upscale B&B's, there's www.sawdays.co.uk and www.karenbrown.com. And www.visitscotland.com has lists of accommodations.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never once paid 54GBP per person in a B&B anywhere in Scotland -- and that includes in pricier Edinburgh.

A more normal range is 25 - 35GBP or a bit more for posh places, and a bit less for family rooms.

Give us links to some of these 54 GBP places you have found.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
twk

I'm paying £140 per night for a family room (I believe it's a double and two singles) at the Edinburgh Radisson in June. The place gets good reviews on Trip Advisor, and is located right in the Middle of the Royal Mile.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of these great links, I'll check these out.

Higher priced B&Bs I found were:
http://www.bedbreakfastlakedistrict.com/
http://www.raiseviewhouse.co.uk/tariff.htm

There was one at 54 but I cannot find it now. This forum is great though, I do appreciate the links!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Both of those B&Bs you link are in the Lake District. From you title/op, I thought you were talking about B&Bs in Scotland. In general, the Lakes will be pricier than just about anyplace in Scotland.

However even the Cote How B&B would average less than 40 GBP when you factor in the lower prices for kids/extra beds

and the other link (Raise View) isn't an option for you anyway since they don't take children.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:53 AM

I have just booked B&Bs and Guest Houses for 16 nights for 3 of us traveling in May. I had very good luck with smoothhound.co.uk. Most places respond very quickly and I believe that you will be able to find nice places for less than you expected. Of course, I believe rates will be higher in the summer. On smoothhound, you can easily check to see if places have a family room and what the range in rates would be.
It is fun searching, rather like working a puzzle!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM

The figure of £25-35 per person per night seems right to me. You may have to hunt around Edinburgh in the peak season to stay within that range but £54 seems ludicrously high to me. Tourist offices throughout Scotland will have lists of accommodation at around £30 per person per night.