Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

accomodation help in brussels,bruges,amsterdam

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone reccommend budget hotels in central,safe location in the above places for 20 yr olds travelling in europe for the first time ?
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Amsterdam possibilities:

http://www.hotelbrouwer.nl/index.html

http://www.kaphotel.nl/

http://www.hoteldemunck.com/

http://www.hotelcornerhouse.nl/indexe.html
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM

I've heard good things about the youth hostel in Bruges -- it's in a great location!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the great suggestions in amsterdam.hotel brouwer also has very good reviews.do u know about the amstelbotel and does the location keep moving as it is a ship?also about owl hotel,amsterdam.
in bruges has anyone stayed at the budget hotel attached to the bauhaus hostel or at verhulst B&B.any others?
brussels:which would u choose for location and cleanliness-les bluets(av louise area),hotel mozart(grand place)
welcome hotel(fish market)
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM

I have not stayed at any hostel in Brugge, but have rented several apartments there. When arethey going and for how long, and what is "budget" to them?

I have only walked by Bauhaus -- the location is not very central...would not be high on my list for a first/short visit to Brugge. Charlie Rockets Hostel, on the other hand, is about 1-2 minutes from the Markt area which is where they will want to be.

www.charlierockets.com
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:37 AM

One more thing... You asked about B&Bs in Brugge. I've rented apartments from Ridderspoor, and they also have a B&B. They are a short 5 minute walk from the Markt.

http://users.telenet.be/ridderspoor/

I'm an even bigger fan of the flats at Drie Koningen (one street over from Ridderspoor), though they have stricter requirements in terms of check-in and check-out days of the week.

www.kanthuisje.com/d3kon/
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM

For all level of price possibilities in A-dam including maps with locations and hotel reviews:

www.channels.nl
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I loved my stay at Absoluut Verhulst in Bruges. I wouldn't call it budget, though. You should check out tripadvisor.com to read traveler reviews on the places you've listed, and of course, on this board, as well.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have stayed at Hotel Kap as mentioned by Travelnut. It was good. In Amsterdam what is most "central" is not a very nice location imo. I like it much better in the Leidseplein or around Vondelpark. I know there are hostels in those areas too. It is much less 'sleezy' and edgy than the central part of the city around the train station and The Dam, and red light districts. But still very convenient to seeing everything.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 04:17 PM

A 20 yr. olds traveling for the first time in Europe, I do agree that you would probably enjoy the hostel experience. Many chances to meet and mingle with travelers; usually posted opportunities for walking tours, events, etc. As mentioned earlier, check out Rick Steves website for good information (ricksteves.com). Guaranteed that your travel experience will forever change you! Wishing you wonderful adventures.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

thank u fodorites for the great sugestions.ive decided to go with hotel brouwer in amsterdam,absoluut verhulst in bruges(that is our splurge)and hotel mozart in brussels.keep ure fingers crossed that we get rooms after all this
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

hotel brouwer is full.if i wanted a hostel experience(w/o bedbugs and dirty sheets) how would u rate the stayokay vondelpark amsterdam? 80 euros for a double.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM

I think Stayokay has a good reputation. The location is fine, by Vondelpark and Leidseplein. There are reviews on Tripadvisor.com....

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM

If you are interested in a private room at the StayOkay Vondelpark, book now. I tried six months in advance in 2005, and failed.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:29 PM

WWW.BEDANDBREAKFASTBRUGE.BE
I STAYED THERE AND IT IS ONE OF MY MOST MEMORABAL PLACES I HAVE STAYED IN EUROPE. READ ABOUT IT IN RICK STEVES. I THINK YOU COULD FIND SIMILAR BANDB IN HIS BOOK FOR AMSTERDAY. BON VAYAGE