Cheap Antwerp (and Bruges, Ghent, Brussels) hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked old posts on this forum, as well as online, and it seems that there are very few hotels in the old part of Antwerp--they all seem to be concentrated near the diamond/commercial district. We'll only be there for a day and 1/2, so we'd like to stay closer to the center. We've only found a couple in the historical area, and they're all expensive (we're looking for less than 100 euro/night). I'm also having trouble finding places in this price range in Bruges and Ghent (and haven't started looking in Brussels yet but anticipate the same problem). Many of the places recommened on this forum and elsewhere would be ideal, but will be CLOSED when we're there (January 2-12). Examples are Ter Reien and Adornes (Brugge). Any advice much appreciated, as always.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 12:46 PM

These two budget hotels in Brussels are on my list, planning to start w/ Hotel Opera next spring. Both are 85 Euro/Dbl incl breakfast, and near Grand Place. I have not yet stayed at these, but found one/two comments about them here or elsewhere.

Hotel Opera web:
http://www.hotel-opera.be/iedefault.htm

Hotel St Nicolas web:
http://www.st-nicolas.be/default.asp

Another budget option mentioned more frequently here is Hotel Madeleine, web:
http://www.hotel-la-madeleine.be
100 Euro/Dbl, 115 Euro/Executive

We stayed at Hotel Atlas in 2002 for about 115 Euro (cheaper on weekends). It was about 4-6 blocks from Grand Place, easy to walk in less than 10 minutes; business-style, clean, spacious room. Web:
http://www.atlas-hotel.be/
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 12:48 PM

Ibis Antwerpen Centrum is close to the historical centre.
Furthermore there are also a few B&B's that are well located.
Have a look at these:
Bousard-Rodriguez family at http://www.bousardrodriguez.com
Borze B&B at http://www.RoomInAntwerp.be

More guestrooms on http://www.gastenkamersantwerpen.be/...ses/index.html
and
http://www.bbeurope.net/Belgium/index.htm
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 01:48 PM

If you are willing to go with a B&B, look at my report on Ghent, Normandy and Brittany. The photos include pictures of the B&B.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I also have a couple of great B&Bs to recommend, if interested. The one in Antwerp is quite luxurious (I know, "luxurious B&B" seems like an oxymoron, but I still occasionally have dreams of that chrome and glass bathroom), in a pricey residential area (5 min. walk from the town center). Last year, we paid 62 euro for 2 people--at this price, it's not a bargain, it's a steal.

The one in Brugge is simply my favorite B&B anywhere; I recommend it to just about everyone I know, and it never disappoints. Pretty sure they're open in the winter, too. I also stayed at a B&B (actually a small studio apartment) in the very center of Ghent, but that one was more of a bare-bones experience (although very cheap).

Ghent, by the way, is very big, and you definitely want to stay as close to the center as possible, as the rest of the city is not nice at all. In Brugge, you should be OK no matter where you stay.

I stayed at the hotel Opera in Brussels ~4 years ago; it's a good location and a decent budget hotel ("budget" being the key word, don't expect any frills). In Belgium, I generally prefer B&Bs, though.

Let me know if you want contact information and/or more details.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 10:53 PM

In Brussels, try the Novotel (www.novotel.com) or even the Hyatt (the Barsey Hotel) because both run frequent specials. The Hyatt has been offering rooms from time to time for about $115 a night, which is slightly over your budget, but it's a luxury boutique hotel and well worth the difference. Novotel also runs specials of about $90 per night but those specials are only noted on their own web site (it's actually quite a nice hotel, very close to the Grand'Place and the facade blends right in with the historic area). The Hilton on Boulevard Waterloo also runs frequent specials.
I think you'd do better trying to get a special at one of the better hotels rather than relying on a budget option.
Or try Priceline and put in a bid of about $85 for a four-star hotel, although you're probably a little early for Priceline.
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these replies. I'm following up on them. BTilke, I've never used Priceline. Can you specify that you want to be in a certain area? It would be great to get a 4-star hotel for 85 bucks, but not if it's out by the airport! If you can make acceptance of the reservation contingent upon certain requirements (location, namely) I would definitelky try it...
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm beginning to get more nervous. I submitted reservation requests to several additional hotels in Belgium and they're all closed! Sansdieu, please do pass on the names of your favorite B&Bs. I'm getting desperate!
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Did you try the Ibis in Antwerp? As Myriam said, it is in a very good location, and though not with a lot of character, it is clean and inexpensive. You can walk anywhere in the old town from there easily.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

ugh...I was hoping to avoid any and all IBIS. (Am way too familiar with them from my childhood.) It's pretty cheap but I'd much rather hold out for something less sterile. Anyone else got suggestions??
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Best Western Villa Mozart (in the very heart of the historical centre) might have good offers for January. It's a small & charming BW with only 25 rooms.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 03:14 PM

If you're looking for a cheap clean place to stay in Anterpen, your place can be the Internationaale Zeemanshuis.
www.zeemanshuis.be/

Brussel has a lot of bargain offers during EU parliamentary off season, instead.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:33 PM

I loved Hotel Salvatore in Bruges and I believe it is well within your price range. Check it out:

http://www.hotels-brugge.org/hotels/...id=731&l=1
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 04:29 PM

mp413:

there goes, good luck! let me know if any of these work out.

BRUGGE:
Absoluut Verhulst - Verbrand Nieuwland 1 - 8000 Brugge - Phone: 0032 (0)50 33 4515 ? Email: [email protected] - Website: www.b-bverhulst.com

ANTWERP:
Marijke VANDEPITTE
Britse lei 49 bus 6, 2000 Antwerpen. 17
Tel.& Fax 0032 (0)3/288.66.95.
Mobile : 0032(0)486.5222.42.
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]
(try both, not sure which one is current)
There is a private garage in the basement of her building (extra charge), but you must reserve it ahead of time.
She can be found at http://www.gastenkamersantwerpen.be (and at some other site, with pictures, I just can't remember what it is--but she can send you photos). It says she's open all year round.

Both places have all the standard conveniences (hairdryers, toiletries, etc.), and lots of extra niceties. Both serve scrumptious breakfasts. As far as I'm concerned, both beat Ibis hands down.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 01:56 AM

If someone is looking for a room IN the historical area, I would never advise her to stay at Britselei. It's at least 20 min. walk to Grote Markt. I agree that the area is nicer than the diamond district but at the diamond district there's the subway (what's in a name) that brings you to the historical centre in just a few minutes. At Britselei there is no such possibility. Especially now (and for the coming months) with the giga works going on on the Leien it's not the nicest place to stay. Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 06:29 PM

It's a good thing we have a forum here, isn't it?

If memory serves correctly, Britselei, (together with all the other international "leien", Frankrijklei, etc.,) sort of encircles the historical part of town (well, it's more of a half-circle, really). I never said it was IN the historical area; I said it was in a residential area, an easy walk to the historical part of town. It's certainly nowhere near the 20 min. walk to the center. For everything we visited (museums, the Cathedral, Grote Markt, other tourist sights), it took us at the very most 5-10 minutes of leisurely walking, which included frequent stopping at waffle stands en route. Our car was parked in the garage the entire 3 days that we were there.

Having said all this, I am no big fan of construction. So if there were indeed major construction going on in the immediate area (I remember hearing something about the renovations at the Palace of Justice--is that it?), I'd stay away. That should be easy to find out, though--just ask the owner.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 02:26 AM

sansdieu,
It's much worse than that: they're completely remodeling the leien. They started at the south end (the connection with the ringway) and will be going all the way to the north end. Works started in August 2002 and should be finalized by November 2005.
Of course they do it in sequences but I can tell you that it's one big construction site! It won't be any better with the change of the season (rain, rain, rain ...). The good thing is that we get good information on what streets are inaccessible etc.
If you're interested in the project: www.deleien.be (only in Dutch, sorry)

BTW: I may have exaggerated a bit with 20 min. but you must be a good athlete to run all the way to Grote Markt in 5/10 min. time buying & eating waffles and other goodies in the meantime ...
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Myriam,

Big athletes we aren't, although you wouldn't believe me if you saw my husband sprint at the sight of a waffle stand (or chocolate shop, or patisserie, etc.). Most of the running was done by him on the way TO one waffle stand, and then onto the next one, and so on. No other country in Europe inspires him quite like Belgium does.

Too bad about the construction; I loved the Leien, and would move there in a second, if I had the chance. I hope the improvements will be worth it.

The website looks good, especially the maps (with my extremely limited Dutch, what else could I appreciate?).

By the way, I loved that whole letter-zone thing (like Sector J, e.g.), when I was in the city (right when they were beginning the construction in 2002). Easy to navigate, unlike some other Belgian cities, which shall remain unnamed.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:23 AM

I stayed in the Atlas in Brussels last night and found it very pleasant. Well located, and clean, and helpful people. Dearer than normal but the town was full.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 09:57 PM
WGS

We just returned last month and stayed at the Alfa Theatre. Perfect location 2 steps away from the historic district including the market area, the square, the cafes, etc. 10 min walk to Meir Street in one direction or the harbor in another, and 20 min walk to train station and diamond district.

I don't think they have a website, but here's something I found with their rack rates. You may be able to get a better price thru one of the travel website http://pts.placestostay.com/script/g...=2248&FE=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -