Accommodations on Harris/Lewis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we will be staying on Harris or Lewis one night in early June, and would like recommendations on hotels, guesthouses or b&b's. Fodor's highly recommended Ardvourlie Castle doesn't seem to be renting anymore. We will arrive by ferry (with car) in Tarbert mid-day and will leave Stornoway to Ullapool the next day, also mid-day. Since our main interest is Callanish, Lewis lodging might be more convenient, although Harris seems to be a prettier setting. I don't think the Stornoway hotels look too appealing. Anyone ever stay at Baile na Cille (looks nice, but they don't show the interior or the rooms so can't really tell) or Ardhasaig House? Does anyone know whether Leachin House no longer rents (their Web site is gone)? Loch Roag Guest House? Thanks for any help.
-Gudrun
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Just curious--what are Harris and Lewis? I see the word Loch, so maybe something to do with the area around Scotland--Great Britain somewhere?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have put Scotland in the heading. I mean the Western Isles, Outer Hebrides, the Isles of Harris and Lewis. Since I don't see a way to amend the original perhaps I should repost.
-Gudrun
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gudrun: No - Don't re-post. You don't need "Scotland" in the title.

Simply because Rufus doesn't know where Lewis/Harris are doesn't mean anyone who knows <u>anything</u> about the UK would have any confusion.

Sort of like posting about &quot;Cinque Terre&quot; -- oops do I need to re-post because I left off &quot;Italy&quot;? Nope.

As for accomodations - You might try this place. http://www.lochroag.com/ A great location for what you want.

Rufus: Lewis and Harris are part of the Outer Hebrides.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Gee, thanks for calling me an ignorant moron.

I don't think that Harris and Lewis are that commonly known--I say that because I am not an ignorant moron, and, while I haven't been to Scotland (like 99.99% of the world's population) I am not a total dud when it comes to geography.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Sorry Rufus but no one callled you an ignorant moron. However Janis is correct in saying that anyone with information for Gudrun will know exactly where Harris and Lewis are located.

For Gudurun... I can't personally recommend any of your options but can offer some suggestions.

Scarista House on Harris is suppose to be quite good, but it may not be the best location for you. I have stayed at the County Hotel in Stornoway and it's okay. You might also want to try Doune Braes Hotel www.doune-braes.co.uk as it is located near Carloway and therefore close to Callanish. I have heard good things about Ardhasaig House but have not stayed there. Park Guest House, also in Stornoway, supposedly has a great restaurant and the best rooms in town.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I did query Loch Roag as they look very nice but they are completely booked on the date we want. The owner apparently also owns Eshcol House next door and offered a double there, but they don't look quite so appealing on their Web site. Anyone know about it?

I stumbled across Planasker Old School on Lewis which sounds lovely although it looks like it's about 15 miles down a single track road (Marvig). Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks for the other suggestions; I will look into them.
-Gudrun