Accommodations in Mestre?

Jul 31st, 1999, 06:16 PM
Mary Lou Morrisey

Accommodations in Mestre?

Not traveling until Aug. 2000, but finding little information on places (for 6 of us) to stay in Mestre, just outside of Venezia. Any suggestions? We'll zip into Venezia on the high speed train, but don't want to sleep there (we figure bring a car in wouldn't be wise). Thanks!

Aug 1st, 1999, 09:12 AM
Mary Ann

Just curious but wondering why you would not want to stay in Venezia. We are going this fall, driving, parking the car in Mestre but staying in the accademia district. It is a very short tain and tranchetto ride in and there is alot more variety in accomodations as well as the experience of being in the heart of the city.

Aug 1st, 1999, 10:41 AM
richard j. vicek

Good afternoon, Mary Lou
Have to agree with JM as to not staying
at Mestre, my suggestion would be stay
as close tothe Pza S. Marco as your
budget will allow. can recommend a
couple of hotels such as the MARCONI,
DO POZZI , KETTE. AL SOLE, these are
three star hotels.BISANZIO,the one star
ROSSI, near the RR station. (14 rooms/13 baths) Surf into www.venicenet.it and
www.veniceinfo.it/ and www.elmoro, it/
If you need any assistance in locating
a hotel you might be interested in drop
me an e mail, will be glad to help, but
stay in Venice... Richard of Hickory Hills, IL>

Aug 1st, 1999, 11:48 AM
Mary Lou

Thanks for the responses. We thought that driving our minivan in Venice would be a bad idea. I will followup on Richard's hotel recommendations (we had even searched for a hostel in Venezia--one on the island of Giudecca). Ever hear of it? we're staying 2 days, but one night.

Aug 1st, 1999, 12:02 PM
Barbara

Mary Lou,

Driving your mini-van is not just a bad idea, it's impossible. All vehicles must be parked in the garages outside the city. Mestre is a drab, industrial area. I suggest you consult a book called Cheap Sleeps in Italy, which lists safe and agreeable accomodations. Also, if you stay in Mestre, the trip back and forth will eat up a lot of time, especially since you are going to be there at the most crowded time of the year. Do some reading in Fodor's Guide or Frommer's, and get a feel for the layout of things. Buon Viaggio.