Accommodation in Venice

Search

Accommodation in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodation in Venice

My parents in law will be visiting Venice for the first time in May. They're in their late 60's but pretty fit and will be on a limited budget so a bed and breakfast may be a better option than a hotel. They don't want any fancy trimmings - just a clean room in a good location, but something with authentic Venetian character would be ideal. Any ideas?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How much is a "limited budget"? Recommendations are fairly meaningless unless/until we know how much they can spend.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM

NOt sure what your budget is but we stayed at www.hotelgalleria.it and found it to be very affordable and a great location. Would definitely stay there again.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Please state their budget and number of days. If their stay is more than 4 days, an apartment may be a better option.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.lacalcina.com is a lovely quiet hotel with breakfast included. I'm not sure if that meets your budget, but the rooms without views are still very nice and to me reasonably priced for Venice, but I'm know there are cheaper places.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

They're trying to firm up their budget now (travelling from South Africa and the rand is pretty weak so..) so I'll revert when I have a better idea what they can spend. In the meantime, Jamikins and Suze, I'll have at look at the hotels you've recommended - Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM

We stayed at this hotel several years ago. Very basic but clean and in a good location.

http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM

We were just there in November and stayed at Hotel Bisanzio. Decent hotel, buffet breakfast, decent price and great location...right on the lagoon not far from St Marks Square and the water taxis.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Are you p-i-l comfortable with stairs in their hotel or do they need an elevator? I really liked the quirky Hotel Galleria but I remember having to haul my suitcase up a long flight of stairs... La Calcina is a different price point than the Galleria but that's where I want to stay next time.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM

I have stayed at Bisazio (my 1st time in Venice about 10 years ago), then la Calcina once. If I return to one of those two hotels, I would choose la Calcina for location and atmosphere. Then again there are so many choices in Venice, I have not returned to either of them at 10 other following visits to Venice.

The breafast was better at La Calcina than Bisanzio, food and brekfast room, including its terrace on the water - since your parents are going in May, if they can afford la Calcina, breakfast on the water terrace would be some nice experience.

Also if it makes the difference,

Elevator :
Bisanzio = Yes
La Calicina = No
Galleria = No

Galleria would possibly have the smallest rooms of the three hotels as I read from its reviews.

Bisazio is NOT right on the water (lagoon)- so do not expect much view. We paid an extra to have a larger room with some garden view. I found its loication fine.

La Calcina, if they confirm you a canal view room, you will have a great Giudeccca Canal view. Galleria likewise but unlike la Calcina, the room windows seem small. Just my impression after checking the site and reading reviews. Anyway go to each hotel's site and check the rates to determine your budget.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM

http://www.bbvenezia.com/pages/english.htm

We stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Venezia in October. It is right along the canal at the edge of a very small park on St Elena Island. You can walk to St Marks Square from there but the water bus stops right at the St Elena stop at the park. There are benches along the canal in the park where you can sit and watch the sunset and the boats going by. Very beautiful

It is a nice neighborhood with a small restaurant with great pizza. Also, a very nice small restaurant with wonderful food a block or two away from the b&b.

We have stayed in hotels closer to San Marco but this was more fun. There is no elevator. The garden room was nice however it was not at garden level - it was two flights up. The "garden" was a balcony with potted flowers.

Check it out on tripadvisor - has good reviews.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM

I'd not place too much importance on the "breakfast" part of B&B. Take breakfast as the Venetians do - a coffee and a croissant. It will cost about three Euro, and is more fun than sitting in a formal dining room (where the breakfast can be pretty ordinary anyway, with yesterrday's croissants re-heated.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM

We stayed at Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo. It's very, very nice. We stayed in the recently opened new building. We had TWO rooms and double entrance doors! One room was a sitting room. The bathroom was all marble and tile. Everything was gorgeous. It is walking distance to Rialto Bridge but there is also a bus stop nearby. But try walking everywhere. It's great to get lost. If you've never been to Venice before, go to St. Mark's Square but don't stay there. Go across to Dorsodoro and get lost. Check out trip advisor for this hotel! Reasonable for Venice. Trip Advisor Hidden Gem.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM

lisadrew,

Check out www.pensioneguerrato.it, close to Rialto good central location for walking to all the prime sites. Quick access to Vapareto stops, slightly off the beaten path but great value for the money.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM

I would check out cross-pollinate.com. It's an apartment rental agency, and I am very impressed with their services. I stayed in Venice for three nights last summer at a fraction of the hotel prices. I had a two bedroom apartment with a full kitchen and a washing machine for a quick load of laundry.

The arrangements were very easy to make. Lots of photos of each property, too.