Search

low budget Venice accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low budget Venice accomodations

Hello everybody,

I'm a 30 year old girl who wants to spent a romantic time in Venice Italy with her boyfriend. I tried searching a room on the internet but was amazed by the high prices. We are going to Venice in april and want to spent about 70 € for a room, preferably in the centre. Has anyone a good suggestion or is this just a not existing.

Hoping for some good advice
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:47 AM
ira

Hi char,

70E dbl is a bit low.

Try http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've heard mention of less expensive hotels being in the neighborhood around the train station. Myabe check that?

Sorry, no names to give you. Venice is expensive. The 3-star hotel I stayed at two times more than you want to pay.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I suggest this...

Al Campaniel http://www.alcampaniel.com/
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Have you tried the booking portal www.venere.com? There seem to be lots of options for 70 Euro there.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Charlot-
I second Ira's opinion on Hotel Bernardi. We stayed there in September last year and it was perfect (the room was unimaginative but functional, which was all we needed).

I think we spent 90E per night, but we had a private bathroom and it was high season. I believe they have lower rates in the off season and for rooms with a shared bathroom.

Both the regular hotel and the annex are pretty well centralized, with the Ca d' Oro being your vaporetto stop.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:32 AM

This place has double rooms that meet your budget:

http://www.diaconiavaldese.org/venez...ia/index_e.htm

However, I seem to recall reading that they have a problem with unmarried couples.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Here's another cheap option (with no marriage requirement):

http://www.albergosansamuele.it/
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:12 AM

We stayed in a B&B that cost 71 euros last May. But I would not recommend it because the beds were terrible. Nor was the room particularly romantic. You might be able to find something by googling Venice B&Bs. I do not recall the site exactly, but there is a complete listing of Venice B&Bs somewhere on the net, with a wide variety of prices.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

I'm leaving for Venice in less than a month... and am very budget oriented also. Found what sounds like a great little place called the Gli Angeli B&B, near the Arsenale vaporetto stop. Got a rate of 89 Euros for a double room that looks very spacious and with a modern bath. There are a few mentions of the Gli Angeli on here, which is how I found it. Also great reviews about it on Venere.com and Trip Advisor.com. The owner, Sonia, has been very helpful over e-mail and almost all the reviews have mentioned her specifically and how she caters to her guests. Hope this helps... good luck!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM

We've booked our B&B through this website: www.cross-pollinate.com

Quite a few to choose from!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM

We stayed at Hotel Bernardi last May. We paid 80 euro for a double with ensuite bath. Small but clean and well located. We also booked the room for our last night in Italy three weeks later. When we checked in we found that they had overbooked with a large wedding party. They offered to put us in an apartment. Thinking they meant the annex, we agreed. When we arrived at the apartment we discovered that is was in their personal home. We ended up with a very large room with a small balcony overlooking a canal in a wonderful residential area. And for the same 80 euro. We love Hotel Bernardi!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Here's another vote for:

Al Campaniel http://www.alcampaniel.com/

We stayed there two years ago. Marco, the owner, is very hospitable and attentive.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 08:53 PM

We liked alcampaniel too! We stayed in the apartment. It was very basic but clean, inexpensive and well located.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Laurie - I'm looking into the Al Campaniel apartment also. It's 20EURO more expensive than the standard rooms but I imagine I'll save all of this and more by predominantly self-catering in Venice! Can anyone concur? Also Laurie - it's in San Polo yeah?

Char, the Al Campaniel standard room quote I received [granted it was for October] was $72 EURO however owner Marco said he'd take a further 5EU per person off the price if breakfast wasn't required. Pretty fantastic.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM
pg

If you are willing to stay near the Mestre station, check out www.villadori.com. It is a house in residential neighborhood. It has good comments on several travel forums (opnly -ve is that it take 30 mins or so to get to San Marco - but hey it may be worth it if youwant to live amongst REAL Venetians).
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Charlot: If you want to spend a romantic time in Venice with your friend, do NOT take a hotel in Mestre.

The unique charm of Venice is most powerful in the late evening: tiny, quiet calli where you will not meet another soul; lively campi full of cafes with people enjoying themselves.
I do not think you want to leave all that to get to the railway station (by the way, 5 Euro for every vaporetto trip along the Grand Canal = 10 Euros a day just to get back and forth) to catch a train to Mestre on the mainland.

Also, Mestre does NOT have Venetians, although Mestre is officially part of the city of Venice. The REAL Venetians are the ones who have decided to stay in Venice, despite the higher prices and the crowds of tourists.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:44 PM

I'd definitely recommend getting a vaporetto pass. 22 Euros for a 3-day pass, or 10.50 Euros for a 1-day pass.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:50 PM

WillTravel: Thanks for the second time today for giving very useful advice. I normally stay so close to everything that I walk everywhere and take only a single one-day pass on the day I go to the islands, chiefly Burano and Torcello.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Hi Mel,
I think you will enjoy the Al Campaniel apartment. We did. It is located in the San Polo district but is very close to the DorsoDuro.

The San Toma vaporetto and traghetto stop are about a block away.

There is a grocery store nearby. It is about a 4-6 block walk. Ask Marco for directions. He is very nice to talk to and is fluent in English. There is also a very good gelato shop close to the apartment. We really enjoyed this area and would like to return.

The apartment itself is very basic, yet clean. There is maid service everyday, which is nice. The towels were replaced every 3 days. The shower area is very cramped, but this didn't bother us mcuh.

All in all, it is a good value apartment in a great area.
Hope you enjoy your trip! Laurie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -