Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodation advice - Spanish Steps or Campo dei Fiori?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I really need some advice regd accommodations in Rome. I will be there for 4 days on a quick break in late Oct, and I have a choice of 2 locations for my stay there.
Some info - My husband and I have not been to Rome before. While visiting some of Rome's main tourist attractions are certainly on our agenda, we would also like some time to enjoy the city, ie, explore some of the little streets and alleys, sit by a cafe and have a coffee, that sort of thing. We are also die-hard foodies and love eating like the locals, visitng markets and food shops. Given the short span of time we have, we would like to be in a central area with easy access to the sights and local colour.
The locations - One is on via Purificazione near the Spanish Steps and the other is along via Sora near Campo de'Fiori.
Which do you think would be the better option? Any advice will definitely be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM

For all the things you mention, the Campo de' Fiori location is a far better option.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I agree with Zerlina. Let me explain why:

the Spanish Steps area is full of broad avenues and high-end shopping. It isn't a great place to "eat like the locals." Campo de Fiori has almost as many tourists but is in the "old town" area with its warren of little streets full of tavernas and small shops. It is also within walking distance of more sights (though the Spanish Steps does have one of those extremely rare subway stops). Based on your description of your preferences, I believe that all else equal (which it seldom is) you would prefer the Campo de Fiori area.

Are you choosing between two hotels? Tell us the names and you might here from people who have stayed there before.

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far.

Actually, I have a choice between 2 short-term rental apartments, each on one of the streets mentioned above.
They both seem to be great apartments, so you can imagine the dilemma!

Hopefully, I can get a few more more responses, as a sort of "straw poll" before i make my decision!

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Campo dei'Fiori! I don't care for the area near the Spanish Steps. CdF has a more local feel. Plus this area will be put you just across the river from Trastevere - the perfect spot to "explore some of the little streets and alleys, sit by a cafe and have a coffee, that sort of thing."
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Hello!
For me both locations are great!

Last time we've stayed in Campo dei Fiori and it was a nice bed and breakfast but i really found the streets nearby to be pretty shabby. Then i remember saying that next time in Rome we'll stay near the Pantheon ;-)
But between Campo dei Fiori and Spanish steps, really i would choose the best regarding accomodation and price! (both locations are very central!!)

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM

We stayed just steps from Campo dei Fiori and loved that area. Nice pedestrian streets around it too.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM

OB:

I like both locations, although for the past two visits we loved Ave Purificacion for it's quiet residential feel. We stay at the Hotel Modigliani which several Forum members also enjoy.

We had no problem getting to Navona, Fiori, Trastevere, Vatican , Trevi,the "Steps", etc...it's a very pleasant walk to any of these locations, some furthjer than the oothers.

It's also one block over from Via Veneto and it's upscale surroundings, and from there the Villa Borghese.

The metro to Coliseum/Forum is very conveniently nearby also at Piazza Barberini...

You can't go wrong at either location.

Stu T.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Between these two, I have to add in Campo dei Fiori. Much more fun-and quite in the midst of things.

I also agree the area around Piazza della Rotonda (where the Pantheon sits) is a delight. It's nearby nearly everything: Pza. Navona and its cute streets which lead you to Sta. Maria della Pace), Campo dei Fiori, quick hop to Trastevere and around the corner from the tasty local Tazza D'Oro (Golden Cup), a great cup of coffee and where the locals can be found. But you're not that far away.

For fun, go on to Google Earth and type in "Pantheon Rome Italy" and be "flown there." You can navigate around the area--the Pantheon will center and to your left will be Navona and slightly below that is Campo de' Fiori. You can see photos of the area and zoom in and even examine the 3D view of the area! Check it out!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM

OB:

For reference purposes, the hotel is at #42...it's a short street so your apartment possibility is probably a few doors away.

Stu T
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Generally speaking I would agree with the majority here and recommend the Campo dei Fiori. However, having stayed at the Hotel Modigliani last year on via Purificazione, I must say I just loved that area. It was actually peaceful (in Rome!) at night, yet within walking distance of everything.

And it's not THAT near the Spanish Steps.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM

St.C:

Nice to have someone co-endorse the Modigliani...

Stu T.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Hi, Stu:

I just LOVED that hotel! Did you check out their newsletter? I thought that was a brilliant touch!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. After going through all the info, I've decided to go with the apartment near Campo dei Fiori. Am looking forward to the trip! Thanks again!