Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accademia Bridge....how many steps to climb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read a comment that the disadvantage of staying in the Accademia Hotel was having to face climbing the steps of the bridge to cross to St. Marco. Anyone else see this as a problem? Are the steps very steep or are there a lot of them??
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:53 AM

I only crossed it once since I stayed in another area, but I didn't find it difficult to cross at all. If memory serves me correctly, there were about 30 steps (not steep, but rather short and close to being level), then the bridge was level in the middle, and then there were another 30 or so steps on the other side identical to the first set.

I figure it would be the easiest of the three main Grand Canal crossings due to the steps being so short and level-like. Someone who has crossed it more often may remember more details, however.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:03 AM
ira

I agree with Statia. It's not as steep as the Rialto.

Besides, how many times a day will you have to make the crossing?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:03 AM

Hi
I hate steps because I have bad knees, but the Accademia Br is user-friendly.
It has to be since it is heavily trafficked by locals of all ages and abilities. If you plan your day well, you won't have to use it that often.
I prefer staying in the San Marco area, but for other reasons of convenience.

Some of the smaller bridges are more of a problem to me though there are fewer steps--it all depends on the pitch.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:05 AM

eilis...we stayed there earlier in the year and believe me the steps of the bridge is a non-issue...i can't beieve anyone would say that...enjoy the hotel..we loved it
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:12 AM

If the steps prove to be difficult for you, consider taking a traghetto (gondola) ride accross the canal instead. They are only 1 eruo or so each way and probably takes about the same amount of time, maybe less depending on traffic.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:19 AM

The thing about this question is.....all the bridges have steps all over Venice. If you have a problem with stairs, you may have a problem getting to some areas of Venice. You might have to take a vaparetto from area to area. Some of the inner area wouldn't be accessible. Basically, everywhere you turn are stairs.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:51 AM

eilis it was probably me who made the statement. Everyone's right, the steps are not at all steep but there are a lot of them-maybe 20-30 and then the flat bit and then another 20-30 down. My complaint was I was doing this, on average, 4 times a day-one round trip for sightseeing/shopping during the day and one roundtrip for dinner. There was one day I did it 8 times! Because you're so close to San Marco, it seemed silly to take a vaparetto. To my knowledge there's no traghetto right there-they're at spots where's there's no bridge. The other bridges (except the Rialto) are much smaller & were a non-issue for me. It's not a reason not to stay at the hotel, but in retrospect, for a first visit, I would have preferred staying on the other side of the canal.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 11:01 AM
DRJ

Since I've always stayed in Dorsoduro I've crossed the Accademia Bridge six or eight times a day often. The steps are perfiectly designed for easy negotiation, IMO. (I'm 70.)
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:08 PM

don't use the bridge...take a boat across
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. Off to the gym now to get in training!!!!
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in the Accademia area when our son was 13 mo. old, having to navigate carrying a stroller up and down steps. My recollection is that this bridge was the easiest -- compared to the Rialto, which we did cross, but had to take those steps in shifts.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:46 AM

Lovely bridge and one of the most pleasant areas of the city.

A perfect place to walk slowly, pause, gaze, enjoy the view.