Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

About these clothes in Europe questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Mike

I just got back from a week in Europe. You know that cliche that Americans can be spotted because they wear jeans? Well I have news for you, plenty of Europeans were wearing Levis. I also told my wife that Capri pants were out ( I read that on this board ) but young European girls were wearing those too. I will admit that the stereotype about white gym shoes is true, but even those were on some locals. Basically I couldn't tell the difference between Europeans and Americans until I heard people speaking. I actually bought into all the stuff on the board, French women all petite, Americans and Germans heavy. European cities clean (wow the graffiti!) and American dirty. This trip made me realize how little difference their is between Europe and the US, other than the older buildings in Europe.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 02:18 PM
Red

Mike, have to agree with you on this one. It must have something to do with the proliferation of the GAP stores.<BR><BR>I did see one gentlemen dressed in dockers with a pink oxford shirt and a brown woven leather belt wearing deck shoes and I'll bet he was American. Other than that I had a hard time identifying Americans too.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 02:28 PM
belinda

Hello Mike - I'm curious about where you live and where you went. I found London, Paris, Florence and Rome to be profoundly different from the US. It is the differences that I was seeking and it was the differences that I enjoyed.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 02:32 PM
Susan j

Yes, but there definately is a difference in socks! I never saw one European wearing white Nike low-cut athletic socks, but I sure saw a lot of Americans wearing them!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Wowow

Funny-I pay attention to my surroundings and I try to see everything especially when travelling in Europe.But I have NEVER seen what length someones socks are.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
Mike

I was in Munich, Geneva, Paris, and one day in London.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Susan

To Wowow- I started noticing the socks when we were visiting Switzerland where my Swiss niece and nephew wore dark knee-length socks with shorts. My kids, on the other hand, had on their low-cut athletic socks. It kind of kept my attention the rest of the trip. I also remembered my roommate in college who told me that her father (who is French) always wore socks the same color as his shirt!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Fashion King

White is IN!!!!!!!!<BR><BR>TT.<BR><BR>FK

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Eric

I have always said when traveling wear what is comfortable. Good God, some European's dress really nice and some don't, damn, that sounds like Americans.<BR><BR>I also bought into the fashion police on here but after going to Paris 4 times I found out being yourself is the most important thing.<BR><BR>Wear what you want, enjoy yourself, your on vacation.<BR><BR>See ya later

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:50 AM
xxx

I think Eric said it best. Why do we need to worry how we dress. As long as it's clean and presentable that's what matters most. I'm not saying that T-shirts and shorts are acceptable unless it's really sweltering. But just wearing blue jeans shouldn't be an issue anymore. I doubt the Europeans are so critical of us as much as we are of ourselves nowadays.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:12 AM
archie

These are your biggest worries??? OK maybe I can help you. No matter how hard you try, you will never be a "local" anyplace you go on vacation. So, who cares??? Just don't be obnoxious. Other than that, who cares, if they wear Lacoste, and you wear polo. Here's a newsflash.. they know your a tourist, they are used to seeing people like you, so they really don't care anything about you. <BR> I hate to be so harsh, but I have heard so much about trying to dress like the locals act like the locals etc.<BR> Sure learn a bit of the language, go off from the beaten path, that makes it all fun. But dont think for an instant that you will ever be one of them. Especially after two days in the city. Enjoy your trip, enjoy being a tourist.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:24 AM
xxx

This stuff that only Americans wear shorts is also a myth. I was watching a soccer game last night between European teams and *everyone* was wearing shorts! <BR><BR>Guess they are even more popular there than over here.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Apollo

I have to agree with the last post. <BR>I am constantly bewildered by the number of posts asking what to wear in Paris/London/Rome and on tips on how not to appear to be a tourist.<BR>This is an American phenomenon: I don't think one of the posts has been from an Australian or a South African or an Argentinian or from a Malaysian.<BR>Fashion in Europe is the same as in the US unless you consider yourself part of the fashionista elite in which case you'd know the differences and wouldn't need to ask!<BR>London & Paris are each cities of 7-8 million people or trying to get on with their day to day humdrum lives. No one gives a second glance at anyone else, and certainly not to consider their fashion sense or lack of it.<BR>Simple response... wear what you feel comfortable in and don't leave your wallet on show. Act as you would have other behave to you, with grace and civility and your hosts will be delighted with you and you will show yourselves to be true and charming americans. Other than that... lighten up and enjoy yourselves! worry about other things instead (like which flavour gelato to try today or how many patisseries is it ok to visit in a day before owning up to the calorie counter inside of you...)<BR>Relaaaaaax (and no more clothes postings please!)

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Skippy

<BR>Jeans, jeans, the musical pants<BR>The more you wear, the more you dance,<BR>The more you dance, the more elation<BR>So wear jeans on every vacation.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Ryn

I own lots of jeans, but I never wear them whilst travelling by air. Why not? Denim weighs ~14/oz./yd., that's why not. I don't care to schlep the stuff any further than up the stairs from my laundry room to put it away. It is too expensive to dry in a European coin laundry, let alone hanging on a line in a hotel room.<BR><BR>Dark travel clothing stays clean-looking longer than pale colours, it is just that simple. Insecurity does not come into it; living out a suitcase is likely to turn anyone into a frump occasionally.