Reload this Page >

Aberfoyle and Callander report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Beth

Hi folks. Just back from a day trip to Aberfoyle and Callander and thought some of you might be interested in what it was like. Picked a lovely crisp sunny day and the scenery was perfect. Stopped at Aberfoyle Woolen Mill for lunch, lots of xmas gifts, tartans, woolens at reasonable prices. Lunch menu was good. Not very busy but great for a peaceful day out. Drove from Aberfoyle to Callander beside the loch which was like glass and the mountains were reflected on the water. So peaceful and restful. Arrived in Callander which is full of little shops selling woolens, tartans, little gifts etc. Found a coffee shop with home baking, yummy! Parked by the river where we fed the ducks and swans. All in all had a lovely day. Was cold, but the scenery was lovely. Tempted?

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:28 AM
JOdy

Hi Beth ,<BR>do you know if the Roman camp hotel in callender is stillthere?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Beth

Hi Jody. Sorry didn't take note of hotels. There are lots of little hotels and Bed and Breakfast establishments. Most of them are in little cottages or small houses. Loverly.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 10:53 AM
janis

JOdy - yes the Roman Camp is still there. A very nice hotel - but fairly pricey.<BR><BR>And Beth - That may not have been a "Loch". If you went the most driect route from Aberfoyle to Callander you would drive along the Lake of Mentieth - the only "lake" in Scotland. (But if you took the back road through the Queen Elizabeth Forest park - then you would have driven past a couple of lochs.)

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Beth

Oops yes. It was the lake of Menteith that we passed, where the little church is beside the lake. Beautiful, especially on a lovely day. A few people were out with their cameras taking photos of the glassy lake and the reflection.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Beth

Just topping for the Americans to see

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 12:36 PM
janis

There is a lovely hotel right next door to the Church, and there are always a couple of swans there plus their cygnets in the spring.<BR><BR>There is an island in the lake you can get to by motor launch that is really Beautiful. Inchmaholm island has a ruined priory on it that is one of my favorite places in all of Scotland. Mary Queen of Scots was protected there for a time as a small child. In early spring the entire island is a sea of bluebells.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 12:51 PM
JOdy

Thanks janis,<BR>we stayed there years ago and remember it as the place I first ( and last) tasted haggis!

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Beth

Don't you like haggis. I do. I think its luverly. Haggis neeps and tatties. Best eaten at New Year.