High speed train Madrid/Barcelona ??

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Kathy

High speed train Madrid/Barcelona ??

Is there a high speed train from Madrid to Barcelona? I believe I had read that one was to begin operating this past year. Raileurope.com shows the trip at 7 hours.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:38 PM
cova

Hi Kathy,
no, there isn´t a high speed train between these two cities. It is still being build, and there isn´t a fixed date for the opening, but I think it will take around one more year. It is a pity, because it will really shorten the time.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Pedro

There are several AVE (high speed) lines under construction now in Spain: Madrid-Barcelona, Madrid-Valladolid, Cordoba-Malaga and Sevilla-Jerez-Cadiz. But the most advanced which is Madrid-Barcelona one will not be operating until 2004-2005 so by now there is no high speed train among those two cities although 7 hours seem to be much for it ( really do not know exactly how long it takes. )

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Kathy

Thanks to you both for your quick replies.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 03:01 PM
KT

I happen to have my brand-new copy of Thomas Cook's European Timetable here (you know you're a travel junky when...), and it shows that the Talgo trains Madrid-Barcelona take 6 1/2 to 7 hours.