Reload this Page >

Aberdeen or Edingurgh

Search

Aberdeen or Edingurgh

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Looking

Aberdeen or Edingurgh

I will have 3 to 4 days to spare in early December. I've been and know London, Manchester, Liverpool. So this time want to do something different. I'm thinking about going to Scotland. Never been there. If I could choose only one, which one should it be and why?<BR>Few things that are important to me, not neccesarly in that order: I do like to walk around and see historical sites as well as just get the feel of the locals, good food, decent nightlife(little too old for techno, but still like good rock,dance,or blues/jazz clubs.<BR>Any nice hotels: centrally located, prefer 4-5 star.<BR>I will arrive on Monday and leave either Thursday or Friday, so please take that into consideration when talking about nightlife.<BR>Aberdeen or Edinburgh?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:43 AM
xxx

Edinburgh is one of my favorite all time cities, so I would definitely recommend days in that beautiful city. It has everything that you're looking for and is a very easy city to get around.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:49 AM
s.fowler

For the city itself Edinburgh hands down. On the other hand if you were driving there are lots of interesting castles ans stone circles near Aberdeen. We're hitting both on our upcoming trip, plus the Isle of Islay

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Simone

Edinburgh for ease in getting around by foot and bus. For more history, take a daytrip by train to Sterling for the Wallace Monument and Sterling Castle.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:41 AM
xxx

Unfortunately, one will not find Sterling or Sterling Castle on a map - It is STIRLING

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 04:55 PM
elvira

Oh, what the heck, go to Aberdeen. It's in the middle of nowhere, the weather isn't great, but it's as about as Scotland as you can ask for. Hop, skip and a jump from the Highlands. Everything is made of granite, so it reminded me of New Hampshire (always wondered where they got all those ideas for municipal buildings... ). In December, it'll be cold but so what. If you want sunny and warm, go to St Croix. You want Scotland? I'd say Aberdeen is the answer. It's not exactly tourist-mecca in December (I live in Phoenix, AZ, not exactly tourist mecca in July/August, so I know from wherefore I speak), but it certainly is Scotland.<BR><BR>Just think, you'll be the only kid on your block who went to Aberdeen in December. C'mon, go for it. Who wants to be stuck inside a mobile with the Memphis blues again?<BR><BR>Have no idea about the nightlife, spent mine at a friend's home. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:05 PM
jeff

I vote for Edinburgh. It is my favorite of all European capitals. There is so much to see and do and the restaurants are wonderful. You will not be disappointed.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Simone

To xxx ([email protected])<BR>Sorry for the typo and thanks for the correction. I never mastered keyboarding.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:32 PM
lets

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
tere

I've lived in Aberdeen for two years now, and while I love the city and the beautiful surrounding areas, I would suggest Edinburgh. Lots more to do and see there. Read up on both places and see for yourself. Aberdeen is only a 2 and a half hour train ride from Edinburgh so you could easily do a day trip to Aberdeen from E.if you really wanted to.<BR>But my vote goes to Edinburgh. Good luck!<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:14 AM
John

Four days in Aberdeen in December will certainly give you time to see everything. Twice. It's a grand city and quite beautiful in a gray way, but given your preferences and the time of year, Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Yoo hoo - Sheila....

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Danna

Looking... I've only been to Edinburgh and so would highly recommend it... but I'm interested to see what Sheila recommends... she is in Aberdeen and is always tempting us up that way! ttt

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Looking

I travel to Europe 2-3 times a year. I have an interest in a small London restaurant. I actually enjoy that time of the year in Britain, as I live on a small island of the Florida gulf coast. All summer long it's 95 and sunny and the winter gets a chilly 80 and sunny. Yes we do get rain, but it's warm rain you know. So it's refreshing to getaway from the heat now and then.<BR>So please will you please give me some real info, and I'm still waiting for a nice hotel recommandation.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:52 PM
frank

Best food, nightlife, music clubs in Scotland are in Glasgow.Try the Art House hotel, central location.Edinburgh is 30-45 mins by train from there.Remember that in December the sun sets at 3pm - may affect sightseeing plans!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Sheila

Edinburgh