Aberdeen, Dundee or Perth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a night to spare on my trip leg from Inverness to Edinburgh (next week).

At the moment I am thinking
Inverness 2 nights (culloden, castle, drive around)

Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth, or somewhere else? 1 night

St Andrews 1 night

I am interested in seeing Dunnottar Castle, Scone, maybe Glamis, maybe a distilliary somewhere. But nothing is must do. We are driving, enjoy scenery and are quite happy doing one night stays (I know many on this board are not). We also are doing a "once round" to get an idea and we may come back in the new year to visit in more depth places we liked.

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions. I admit to being a bit lost on the east coast - there is so much information (opinions) online about the west coast of scotland.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
well, I wouldn't stay in Dundee for love nor money -

Either Aberdeen or Perth would be fine -- but why just cities? There are lovely villages all over (and near both Perth and A'deen) with terrific B&Bs, hotels and farmhouse accomodations.

I hope you don't mean Inverness castle as a must see. If you are staying 2 nights in Inverness (I personally would stay outside the city) you could visit Urquhart castle, Culloden, Clava Cairns, Cawdor Castle, Ft George, maybe Brodie Castle.

Scone is really fine -- but If it were me I'd stay somewhere near Aberdeen - Stonehaven or Bancory or that general area. Then you could visit Crathes Castle, Dunnottar, Edzell Castle and Glamis and then not be too far from St Andrews.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj.

I'll count out Dundee. I meant castles (plural) oops - meaning all the ones around there.

I will have a look into the smaller places because I think we would like that better than the cities. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Janis,
What have you got against Dundee? OK it's not the obvious choice for most people but "not for love nor money" is a bit strong. If you look at the city as it is today, rather than be put off by some of the less savoury aspects of its past, it has a lot going for it.
Wilees,
If you're travelling to St Andrews from anywhere near Aberdeen you can easily stop off in Dundee for a couple of hours and make up your own mind
Somewhere near Aberdeen looks like your best bet. Aberdeen itself is about two and a half to three hours drive from Inverness so you'll have time to explore a bit on the way. The scenery, either along the Moray Firth or further inland through Speyside, will make you want to come back. I'm with Janis on finding somewhere to stay outside of Aberdeen itself. It's an interesting city and the granite buildings look magnificent in the sun, but it doesn't fit the kind of holiday you're looking for. Another castle you might want to visit is Slains Castle which (despite what the residents of Whitby in Yorkshire will tell you) was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula. The weather in October could give it exactly the right atmosphere. And talking about the weather, be prepared for very cold if there's an east wind. Don't forget to leave plenty of time to explore the Kingdom of Fife - and not just St Andrews - en route to Edinburgh.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I have booked in Stonehaven for the night. Right next to Dunnottar castle. Probably will make it into Dundee (grandad was born there) at least pass through.

Leaving on Saturday and can't wait.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM
hsv

You already got good advice - at least from my meager judgement.
I would stress, though, that if you are staying in St. Andrews anyway, there would be no need for a further stay in Dundee. They are just about half an hour apart by car. So if you still need the time to explore, why not just add another night to St. Andrews?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM

If you pick this up in time, wilees,let me know when you'll be in Stoney and I'll see if I can point some good things to see and do in your direction.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Come on, Sheila, tell 'em what we REALLY think of Dundee!!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:00 AM

Actually, I think Dundee is pretty much the pits. The fact that it's much better than it was doesn't make it actually GOOD!.

I had this discussion with two people within the last fortnight. One was suggesting that the restaurants situation was much better than it used to be, and I asked him where he would take the MD of his company for dinner if he was required to do that. The answer was- Fife.

The other was telling me how Dundee now had good shops, and I asked him to name 4. He managed 1.