AAAHH! Train tickets!

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAAHH! Train tickets!

Perhaps it's the minor surgery or... ok, probably not, but could someone help w/train
ticket/eurail passes etc.?? We are leaving Paris 6/2/07 (prefer night train)to Munich. From Munich to Venice 6/5, from Venice to Rome 6/7. Want to see Neuschwanstein & Linderhoff (could be a tour from Munich). Will use city train in Paris,Rome, & Munich. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Compare the cost of a pass vs. point-to-point tickets at www.railsaver.com
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM
ira

Hi G,

I would fly from Paris CDG or Paris ORY to Munich.

See www.whichbudget.com

You can also fly from MUC to Venice VCE.

For train schedules Paris/Munich see www.voyages-sncf.com

For train schedules Munich to Venice see www.bahn.de.

For Venice to Rome see www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Check the prices before you buy railpasses, as you will still have to pay for sleeper accomodations with a pass.

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM

For seemingly clueless folks like you seemingly are i always refer you to two excellent sources that will fill you in on everything about railpasses and rail travel: www.ricksteves.com who also lists cheap flights you may say want to substitute for long train journeys and www.budgeteuropetravel.com where you can request their free European Planning & Rail Guide that is a great primer on European trains and railpasses, with travel times, rail maps for each country, etc.

The only railpass you would consider would be a Eurail Select Pass good for France, Germany, Austria and Italy (Munich to Italy you must go thru Austria)

At times online advance specials can beat the cost of a train pass and several Fodorites such as TimS are experts on these and will glady help you. And inexpensive local passes like the bargain Bavaria Pass will take you cheaply to Fussen (for Mad Ludwig's fantasy castles) and Oberammergau (for bus to nearby Linderhoff. LarryinColorado has completely dissected this pass in many posts about it. That pass is bought at stations and you can save days on your Eurail Select pass to use elsewhere.

I prefer railpasses because of their flexibility - with the discounted specials you are locked into a non-changeable and non-refundable ticket usually - railpass can be used anytime on any train. But if you itinerary is set in stone then the discount online may be the way to go - but note that these often cause folks great frustration as many posts have shown and don't seem as simple as it sounds.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the sites. I'm looking at them now. I'm tempted to fly but would arrive after 2200. So, am looking at transfers to hotel, etc. Also, PalenQ, there is no seemingly here. Just clueless. Sigh!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Just found a plane ticket for $148 but would need another hotel night, or overnight train for $150. But... the overnight train is saying my railpass must include Benelux??? Train schedule says not going through Brussels?? TimS can you help?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM
ira

Hi G,

>Just found a plane ticket for $148 ...

From where to where?

Ditto for the train.

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM

<But... the overnight train is saying my railpass must include Benelux???>

who says this? whoever is simply wrong as the overnight train Paris-Munich does not nearly go thru any of Benelux but goes Paris-Kehl (Strasbourg)-Munich, wholly thru France and Germany - you do not need Benelux on the pass to use that train.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM

The schedule on www.bahn.de clearly shows the Paris-Munich night train going thru only France and Germany - highlight 'details for all the above' to get the routing.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Let's try this again. Rail Europe said I would need a pass that included Benelux, but after talking to a BET angel, he explained that sometimes they put on facts that apply to day trains even though that's not the train you've chosen. Obviously no help to the clueless!! Thanks for all the great advice. I think I've got the train tickets in line now.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

DUHHH! Train & flight from Paris to Munich. (It's really late!)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Just curious what kind of flight you got - how much, who? thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

I found the flight from Paris to Munich
non-stop on Sun, June 3rd @ 1950 & arrives Munich @ 2130 on Sidestep.com
(tickets actually through wegolo) List for $105 w/tax et al. around $146 (orbitz shows $112 before taxes)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
germqueen - Did you not look at any of the sites people mentioned? You can fly Paris Orly to Munich on Air Berlin for 69E per person (includes taxes). Even at the exchange rate of 1.34 that's $92 not the $146 you are thinking about booking.

You also mentioned RailEurope. Did you look at railsaver.com and enter your itinerary and click only if it saves me money. It's likely you don't need a train pass or that it will be cheaper to fly and buy point to point tickets.

ES train from Venice to Rome will cost about 50E ($67)per person 2nd class (purchased on the Italian website or in Europe). Prices are higher if you purchase from RailEurope plus they have a hefty mailing fee.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Kybourbon,
Yes, I looked at railsaver & clicked the only if it save me money box & they recommened a railpass. Also, we wanted a 1st class double w/our own shower, as a friends brother is meeting us in Munich at the train & will show us the sights from there. About the plane ticket, my dates were not flexible, so that was the price I could find for my date and time.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, got interrupted. Also, the 69euros is before taxes etc. I really appreciate the advice I got & that's how I found the budgeteuropetravel.com
They were wonderful! Thanks PalenQ, and everyone else for the great sites.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The price I gave was for your date (June 3) and did include taxes - 69E total for Paris to Munich on Air Berlin.

I guess I'm still confused. A pass wouldn't include a sleeper - you would have to pay a supplement. The pass will not include any of your "in city" travel in Rome, Paris, or Munich. So I guess I'm wondering what pass would be suggested for Munich/Venice and Venice/Rome. When I enter it on railsaver it says no pass.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM

When I was looking for some guidance and sanity with the trains, I had someone on this forum who kindly suggested contacting BETS Toll-Free
800-441-9413 or 800-441-2387
9am-5pm Eastern Time
Monday-Friday. and they have been absolutely awesome. I have several connections that are imperative and three overnight trains in which I wanted a double. Linda has not only guided me through the maize but has given me peace of mind. the reservations are not much different than what I have seen online and she was able to reserve connections I could not access. If nothing else she can give you the information and let you knolw what is possible and not. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the train travel - I am looking forward to it.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM

<Prices are higher if you purchase from RailEurope plus they have a hefty mailing fee>

Though RE charges more often sometimes like the above poster says the peace of mind is worth the effort and not everyone has the patience to go thru all the various schemes online to get an at times only slightly cheaper fare (at other times significant however)

and though RE has a $18 or so mailing fee on some orders, some agents, like BETS have none except on very rush orders i think.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

I agree w/bcirish. The peace of mind I got with BETS was worth the price of the ticket which I thought was not only competitive but actually less than rail europe. I have a daughter who's graduating from college 5/20, a son graduating from high school on 5/27, & we leave for Europe 5/28 (evening!!). So, the peace of mind for me was priceless (in a budget-minded sort of way)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -