Reload this Page >

AAA TRAVELLERS CHECKS

Search

AAA TRAVELLERS CHECKS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:07 AM
SHELLEY

AAA TRAVELLERS CHECKS

<BR>Has anyone used AAA travelers checks in Italy? We will be visiting Italy in a weeks time & i want to get some t.checks. Which one would you recommend. I am in the US? Where do I exchange them once in Italy? <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:14 AM
Ed

Presume you mean American Express travelers' checks from AAA? <BR> <BR>We find they're the most useful, though brand matters little. <BR> <BR>For most of your spending needs you'll probably want to use your credit cards and ATMs. <BR> <BR>Still, we like a reserve of TCs for emergencies. Easily cashed in any bank. In Rome you'll find the best rate in the American Express office at Piazza di Spagna (near the Spanish Steps.) <BR> <BR>For more info on handling money on your European visit see www.twenj.com/moneyand.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:43 AM
Holly

Shelley: You'll get the best exchange rate on traveler's checks at the American Express offices. The one in Florence can be difficult to locate; just ask someone at the front desk of your hotel to point it out on a map for you. The Amex office in Venice is very easy to find. Just cash what you need as you go, but remember that the smaller towns may not have an Amex office, so plan ahead. Do NOT ever try to cash the checks at a hotel or restaurant - you'll get the worst rate imaginable, if they even take them at all.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:19 AM
Diane

Our AAA office offers Am. Exp. travellers checks in the foreign currency of many countries. We plan to use them (in FF) on our upcoming trip to France. You may want to check into it for Italy.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:39 AM
Ed

Two things to be concerned about with TCs in foreign currency, Diane: <BR> <BR>1) You'll usually pay a conversion premium (i.e. the exchange rate is likely to be very poor ... perhaps as poor as 10%); <BR>2) If you have TCs in foreign denominations left over you'll take another exchange loss converting them back to dollars. <BR> <BR>TCs denominated in dollars are a much better choice. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:17 AM
Kathy

Check with AAA to see if you can even get Amex traveler's checks in lire. When I picked up some in pounds, the agent told me they only carry them in British pounds, French francs, and deustchmarks.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:54 AM
maggiz

We didn't bother with travelers checks and didn't ever wish we had. Use your ATM card and credit cards. We never had a problem. We didn't even get the foreign ATM fee charged to our accounts.