Search

Rome Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:21 AM
Steph

Rome Hotel

Need help deciding on a hotel in Rome for March 8 to March 13. I'd like to stay near the Spanish Steps or Piazza Novana but I don't know that our budget will allow for it. The max I'd like to spend is $200 a night. There seems to be a lot of nice, reasonable priced hotels around the train station but everything I've read from Fodor's seems to think this can sometimes be a bad area. I've inquiries into Hotel des Artistes, Hotel Valadier & Hotel Miami all of which I saw mentioned on this board. Any thoughts?

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 09:44 AM
Margaret

Steph, we stayed at Hotel Morgana near the Train Station and found it to be very convenient. It was clean and included breakfast for $190/night. The train station is a bit disconcerting at first but we found our way on the metro and the bus and they are all right there. Rome is very easy walking. The metro stop rights at the Spanish Steps and that stop is within walking distance of Piazza Navona. Write me off-line if you want any more info. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:05 AM
Ed

Train station area isn't necessarily a bad one (in most cases) but there are far better areas to stay in, more convenient to sights and restaurants. You should have no difficulty finding suitable accommodations in your price range in desirable areas like around Piazza Navona or Campo de' Fiori. You'll find a few suggestions at www.twenj.com/romehtlothr.htm and at www.twenj.com/romehelloitaly.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:07 AM
Janice

I stayed at the Albergo Internationale last November - just a block from the top of the Spanish Steps. Can't remember exactly what we paid, but I don't think it was outageous, and the hotel was more than acceptable - and a great location. Highly recommended.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:10 AM
amg

Steph, <BR> <BR>We stayed at the hotel delle torre Argentina. It is half way between the Campo di Fioro and P. Farnesse (SP) which are great places to eat, have a drink or buy art. It is within easy walking distance of all of the sights. the room had AC and were sound proofed which helped since our room was on a main road. We paid $233 US for a triple including breakfast. <BR> <BR>we found it on the web at www.ase.net <BR> <BR>good luck <BR> <BR> <BR>Hotel della Torre Argentina <BR>Corso Vittori Emanuele <BR>102 00186 Roma <BR>Phone ++39-066833886 <BR>Fax ++39-0668801641 <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:40 AM
kam

Try looking at the Santa Chiara or the Scalanati di Spagne. Both are good walking locations. Santa Chiara near Pza. Novona and Pantheon. The Accademia and Tritone are near the Trevi Fountain and the Condotti is near the Spanish steps and shopping area. Hoping one of these will fit your budget. This is the area of Rome that we like to stay in--don't like to be near the Termini.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:18 PM
Sandra

Just returned from Rome, stayed at the Hotel Portoghesi which I highly recommend. We paid around $150 a night for a small but very updated room, all the amenities (private bathroom in marble), quiet, in an excellent location. Felt this hotel made our stay in Rome all the more excellent. Very close to Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain and Pantheon - less than 20 minute walk to St. Peters/Vatican and less than 30 minute walk to Forum/Colosseum area. Great neighborhood, can't rave enough!!! Have a great trip......

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 01:28 AM
chris

We stayed at the Raphael Hotel in Rome. It got bad reviews on this forum, however, it was one of the best hotels we stayed at. Great location, friendly service and great roof top garden. It's in the Piazza Navona area.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 09:10 AM
stephanie

Thanks everyone for these great suggestions. I've decided Hotel Portoghesi - looking forward to our stay! This will be our first time in Rome.