AA, Air France or British Air?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For flying to Europe, tickets for these three airlines are about the same price. AA's flights offer the best flight times, but are AF and BA a much better flying experience and worth looking into thier flights? This will be for a coach ticket.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM

What about seat availability on those three airlines? I love the aisle seat and once I forced (last minute airline change) to seat in a center seat between two others. Worst experience!! If you like the window or aisle, I'd check on seats. For me, that would be the deal breaker.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Look at www.seatguru.com for detailed analyses of different planes on different airlines.

I remember BA's coach class as very tight.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would try to pick a carrier that gets me closest to my final destination, rather than changing planes somewhere, especially if that somewhere is CDG or LHR.

American's 777s have slightly wider coach seats than British Airways' 747s, and a bit more legroom, plus they're set up with 2 seats on the sides and 5 in the middle, vs. 3-4-3 on BA's 747s. Air France has a variety of seating plans, most of which have 3 seats on each side.

BA's in-flight service is somewhat superior to AA's, but coach is coach no matter how you cut it.

One thing you might consider to make the transatlantic portion more tolerable, especially if you're forced to connect through Heathrow, is to take a daytime flight from from the US east coast (also Chicago) to London. (Also AF has a new daytime flight to Paris from JFK that is on sale at the moment.) These flights really zap jetlag in our experience.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Seats will be similar. Entertainment as well. AA and AF can earn you quite a few FF miles, while BA will give you 0-25%.

Since AF and BA fly different routes, connection is a big issue that you have not, but should have, mentioned. Heathrow and CDG are two of the worse airports to connect, but it also depends on the routes you're flying.

AA will charge you for booze, BA/AF free. If you're a big drinker, then that may be a deal breaker.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Hello Madame- if the rates are comparable- I would consider the "perks" for you. Consider in flight entertainment- are there individual screens in the seat backs or do you have to strain your neck to see the screen in front of you?

Free booze? I am told for example, that on AA you have to pay for wine/liquor. On AF, wine is still included, as in free of charge. I believe it is for BA also. Are you a member of any frequent flier clubs? If not, look into the alliances and partnerships to see which "clubs" you could benefit from. Consider the connecting points of the carriers- BA, Heathrow, AF, Charles de Gaulle- some people wouldn't be PAID to fly through some of these cities.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I totally agree on seatguru. Great site to help you choose.

You didn't say where you're flying from or to. You also didn't say what class you're flying in. Those factors helps us help you better.

BA also has an economy + for a slightly higher fee, more leg room, which is a consideration, depending on your needs.

Also AA charges for alcohol on trips across the pond. About the only airline that does. Try asking to have them run a tab for you.

I have a million + miles on AA, but that wouldn't preclude me from taking AF or BA. BA's business class is just plain weird. Half the seats face backwards, so your face is usually next to someone's feet. AF's business class is fun. I still have my caviar opener from one of my flights.

Frequent flyer miles are important. you cannot get AA frequent flyer miles using BA from the U.S., but you can if you fly out of Canada. Go figure. Study each of the programs, get a mileage mastercard to match whichever program you choose, and put all expenses on it. My wife thought I was crazy when I got her an AA mileage card, but she now has 130k + banked. This means 90k goes to a free business class trip to Europe this year.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM

It's hard to believe your choice is between AA, BA and AF.

If you're going to London or Paris, only two of the three fly there direct from the US: using BA or AF requires changing at one or other of Europe's busiest airports if you're using the wrong one.

If your destination is anywhere other than London or Paris, AA won't fly there, and again you'll have to change planes AND TERMINALS at Heathrow or CDG if you choose AA.

What's more, for any destination other than London or Paris, there'll almost certainly be a way of getting to it from (presumably) North America that'll be direct, or will involve changing at a less nasty airport than LHR or CDG.

If by some odd coincidence, the three airlines you mention really are roughly the same price, and a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than NWA/KLM, Lufthansa, bmi, United, Virgin, or Aer Lingus, you'll find that many peoplke would rather spend the extra to change at Manchester, Dublin or Amsterdam.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:05 AM

I live in France, and generally I fly AF to the United States. However, last summer I found a great fare on AA, so I took that instead. Big mistake. Whereas AF flies only Boeing 777s and Airbus A330s on transatlantic routes, the AA plane was an older Boeing 767 --in other words, minimal inflight entertainment, just one movie shown on overhead screens. And the cabin service was -- well, there was not much service at all. Yes, we got a meal (wine cost extra, as others have noted), but afterwards the flight attendants simply disappeared until shortly before landing. By contrast, AF flight attendants periodically stroll the aisles, often with trays of water and soft drinks. AF also offers 'goodie bags' for kids, with puzzles, coloring books, etc. Nothing of the kind on AA. Adding insult to injury, on the AA flight we were instructed to "please remain in your seats, to keep the aisles clear for our cabin crew," even when the seat-belt signs were off and there were no crew members in sight. AF passengers, on the other hand, are free to stroll around the cabin -- in fact, this is encouraged because they keep a supply of drinks and ice in the galleys where passengers can help themselves. I've never thought AF had wonderful service, but compared to AA they are fantastic.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Have you considered taking a day flight?