Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

a week near Avignon- what to see and do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends and I will be in Chateaneuf de Gadagne just outside of Avignon for 1 week next month. We have a few things listed to check out but with so many places to see I'm a bit over my head. What are your do not misses? Also what are your great restaurants to go to? We like everything from french bistro to Michelin starred. We will have a car!
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM

I can't recall any fantastic restaurants around the area, though we ate at a lot of good places. My advice on where to visit would include the ancient parts of Nimes, Arles, Orange, Les Beaux, Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, Mont Ventoux area, and any of the smaller towns such as Beaucaire. Good luck.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:32 AM

You won't have enough time !

Places :

* Montpellier, regional capital of Languedoc Rousillon, and Herault is an old university town. Medical schools were established during the occupation by the Moors around the 9th century. The Moors, at that time, were the most advanced scientific culture in the Mediterranean basin. Today Montpellier has stunning modern architecture alongside an ancient centre. The tram makes it easy to visit the numerous art galleries and museums.
* Nimes, the capital of Gard, was the Nemausus of Roman history. The arena (built AD or BC 0) is still in use. The old city and Maison Carre are worth visiting.
* Arles is of interest for its extensive Roman remains and also it's artistic history.
* Narbonne, just outside Languedoc, has fine Roman remains.
* Mountain areas include Mt Aigoual, Anduze, Florac, Ganges, Gorge du Tarn, Mt Lozere, Mende, Millau, St Guilhem le Desert, St Hippolyte du Fort, St Enimie, Sauve, Le Vigan,

Coastal towns include Beziers, Bouzigues, Camargue, Canal du Midi, Cap d’Agde, Grande Motte, Grau de Roi, Maguelone, Marseillan, Meze, Sete.

Historical interest in Aigues Mortes, Beaucaire, Lodeve, Pezenas, Sommieres, Pont du Gard, Lunel (inc Ambrussum).

There are many other towns, outside Languedoc, but within reach and worth visiting. The majority of these can be reached by car within less than 2 hours, but Barcelona is just under 3 hours from Montpellier. A small selection -Aix en Provence, Andorra, Avignon, Banyuls, Barcelona, Les Calanques, Carcasonne, Ceret, Collioure, Figueras (Dali museum), Girona, Gorge d’Ardeche, Larzac, Les Baux de Provence, Marseille, Martigues, Mont Ventoux, Orange, Perpignan, Tautavel, Toulon.

Restaurants :

http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/to...estaurants.htm

Local guide :

http://www.the-languedoc-page.com

Peter
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM

Are you by any change staying at les Clos Saumanes? I was there in 2002 and wanted to just stay there for the rest of my life!!!

My "don't miss" is the Sunday morning outdoor market in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. Get there by 8:30A or so or you'll have trouble finding a good parking place! Walk around to see the water wheels and along the narrow rivers ......... charming!

This may sound somewhat stupid for a "favorite" food while in France, but we had the best pizza any of us had ever had at L'Industrie Cafe in L'Isle sur la Sorgue!!! I believe it was called "Savoyarde" and had the BEST cheeses on it any had tasted!!

Also, don't miss Roussillon -- the colors and textures are spectacular!!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

great info all, thank you !! some of these were already on my list so I know to really not miss them and others have been added, your right- need more time!!

The place we have rented is called Les Arcades
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM

stormygirl
We spent 3 days in the Avignon area in March this year. Depending upon your interests I recommend the Palais des Papes and the Pont d'Avignon within Avignon. We also travelled to Chateauneuf de Papes for some sampling of fine wines. Other spots I think you might enjoy are the Roman theatre in Orange and the coliseum in Nimes. The last two have audioguides available that explain everything you need to know. I know you will have a wonderful time.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

did you have to make appt in CdP for the wine tastings? That is high on my list of things to do!
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM

Do you have my 27 page itinerary on the Cote d'Azur & Provence???..Lots of your questions are answered there - markets, winery visits, what to see, Provence fabric, favorite villages, etc. e-Mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM

Besides Avignon, compact town with several main sights like the Papal Palace and famous half bridge

day trips:

Arles
St Remy-de-Provence and Van Gogh's asylyum where copies of his canvasses are mounted where he painted them - St Remy sleepy but dreamy old-time Provencial regional town

Les Baux - incredible city of the dead on a high plateau overlooking Provence - in the modern town a three-star (or was) Michelin restaurant

the Pont du Gard

Nimes - superb Roman remains

Camargue and horse-trekking into the wilds

Cheateauneuf-le-Pape for wine tastings

boat ride on the Rhone

Aix-en-Provence just a few minutes by train

Uzes incredibly old looking town

for starters
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM

The Cistercian Abbaye de Sénanque north of Gordes
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

just an fyi - the 528 map was discontinued in 2005.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Don't miss Uzes. Beautiful medieval town.

Gordes, Bonnieux, Menerbes are all lovely hilltowns.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Hi Stormygirl
Don't forget Aix-en-Provence, fantastic and easily accessed by bus.
Edgie
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Provence is an earthly paradise, enjoy the ride around the different areas. there are no mistakes for the first time visitor. Even the places touted as too touristy like Les baux and Roussillon are worth the visits because you won't see anything like them.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Restaurants? - You will be 37 km from Arles which has one of the best restaurants that we have ever eaten at:

L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabinal

http://www.rabanel.com/

I am sure reservations are necessary by now and the experience will be unique.

http://tinyurl.com/k7sta

Photos of the meal here can be seen on my food photos starting at about #62
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
for a true Provençal buffet in Arles, try Affenage.
I didn't enjoy Rabenal's new location there on the busy street. The organic farm in the Camargue was heaven with butterflies hovering over the herb bushes.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

well you were all correct- Provence was gorgeous and amazing and we didn't have time to do more than a few things! the days just get away from you!

We also loved just hanging out at our chateau which was amazing!

So what we didn't get to this time we have listed for the next. thanks to all of you!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:28 AM

Stormygirl, do we get a trip report? Or is it on another thread which I missed?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM

stormygirl
I second the request for a trip report. I am sure you have much to share.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

hello!!! I am still working on updating the trip report but it is kept here:

www.luggagetag.blogspot.com