a week in Marbella with children

Jul 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

a week in Marbella with children

We have just planned a week at the Marriott in Marbella, Spain using points for hotel and airfare next June. We are taking 2 children, 8 and 11. We are looking for day trips that the kids would like or at least tolerate. They are great with museums, but I want to work in fun activities too. Would love ideas. This is their first trip to Europe, so I would like them to see some old world culture, along with Alhambra. We are renting a car. Thanks for the help!
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM

If they can stay up late enough, at the top of the hill in the old town of Marbella next to the church is a wonderful flamenco club. It's the only show in town, so the Marriott will know about it I'm sure. Stroll the old town - it's quite charming and a surprise after the commercial glitziness of Marbella.

We loved the Marbella beaches and there is a nice jogging trail along the water - perhaps there is biking as well.

They will love Alhambra but I'm not sure how long to get there - maybe quite a long drive...It is pretty spectacular at night if you can swing that. You must reserve in advance and leave plenty of time to find the ticket booth when you arrive there.

Ronda is a spectacular spot and your kids will find the ravine "cool." Again, I can't remember distances so you need to check but I think it is about an hour away. It's a really pretty drive.

The Picasso museum in Malaga (sp?) is small and wonderful. My kids don't even like Picasso but liked this.
Jul 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Have you considered Gibralar? It's easy to get to, has its own eclectic history, climb the Rock (beware of the apes) then walk down, stopping at one of the caves.
Jul 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Great, I will look at the distances. We torture them in the car on a regular basis, so they are good about driving.
Jul 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM

If you are taking them to the Alhambra, I suggest that you tour the gardens first, early in the day, and the interiors in the afternoon. It's good to familiarize yourself with the gardens before you go, because some of the most interesting ones with water follies are furthest from the entrance areas, and you can give up before seeing them if you don't know to keep going.