A week in Bavaria: Help with itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling through Europe for 3 weeks in June/July. We want to spend a week in the Bavaria area. We will be travelling with a 7 month old baby and my parents will be travelling with us so we can do some day trips. My (very) loose plan is a couple nights in Munich, 3-4 nights in berchtesgaden to do the eagles nest and Salzburg, then 1-2 nights in Schwangau to visit the Ludwig castles.

We want to stay in nice places so my parents will have things to do in the day when they babysit! Any thoughts on this itinerary?
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 01:02 AM

Technically, you don't need to stay overnight in Schwangau or Füssen to visit the castles. It's an easy day trip from Munich.
Which brings me to the question if it was easier for your parents to have more time in Munich and limit your changes of places to one, i.e. stay most time in Munich and then those 3 nights in Berchtesgaden/Salzburg.

There are more things to do and see with a baby in tow in the city, I think (not that I would be an expert on this matter!). Like visiting museums or just strolling around town.
It may be easier for them to get around with the stroller as most public transport is easily accesible, e.g. trams, buses and subways.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy1968 thats an interesting suggestion. Is 3 nights in Berchtesgaden enough?
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Actually I guess I should ask we were to spend a little longer in Munich and then base ourselves somewhere else for 3-4 days is Berchtesgaden the right place to do that? (After Bavaria we move onto Lucerne in Switzerland to pick up the golden pass train and head to Montreux).
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 03:20 AM

Well, if 3 or 4 or more nights depends on what to plan to see and do there.
Salzburg will require a full day, I'd say.
Exploring Berchtesgaden / Königsee another.
Then it gets optional.. if you plan to drive further into Austria to see the ice caves near Werfen, or want to hike in the mountains,..
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM

For a very nice hotel in Munich, I would strongly suggest the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten. I used to stay there on business.

It's a very short walk from there to the pedestrian Marienplatz, or the Englischer Garten.

The street it's located on has some great shops, and window shopping is a favorite pastime.