A Tuscan Adventure

Search

A Tuscan Adventure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Tuscan Adventure

I will be travelling to Rome and Tuscany for two weeks this September and would appreciate some advice. I already have tickets in and out of Rome (courtesy of frequent flyer miles). After 4 or 5 days in Rome, it's up to Florence on the EuroStar for three to four days. I am planning to head back down to Rome via car so that I can drive through Tuscany and perhaps stop in a few places along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the following:

1. How to break up this drive? Siena for the day? Overnight there?

2.What about the countryside? Where should I stop there? Stay?

3.A final question. I would like to return the car to Leondardo Da Vinci because of the early morning flight home but do not wish to spend my last night dining at the Hilton, although it might be a good idea to get a room there. There must be some great dining in the countryside around Rome that is accessible to the hotel. Any help from the apparent large number of Italy lovers/savants out there would be much appreciated!

Mille grazie.

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Surprised this is the first response, especially when Tuscany is the topic !
There are a lot of choices to pick from when it comes to Tuscany, especially since you will only have a few days. There are kinda of 3 distinct geograhic styles that you can choose to visit. If your a wine lover, the curvy hills of Chianti, hilliest part of S. Tuscany, lots small towns, vineyards and woods. Then there's the Crete area, rolling small hills, not very wooded, lots of pasture, towns like Montalcino 7 Montepulciano. Then there's a mix of the 2, thats the area near Siena and San Gimgiano. Best advise. Do some serious studying at a major bookseller looking through guidebooks & picture books of Tuscany while drinking capucino in the store's cafe. You'll probably get a sense of the area's and what in particular draws your attention. They are all beautiful.
I haven't been there in September but the Crete llandscape will be more brown then green. Once the heat of summer arrives this area turns brown, other then irregated areas. Chianti less so since it is heavily wooded. When I have stayed by FCO I always picked a place that had a free shuttle
to Rome city center, whcih allowed me to always enjoy that last meal in Italia. Even though the shuttle would pick you up from CC I usully ended up with a taxi because I stayed out way past the last shuttle pik up. Allways enjoying it to the last minute.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Tuscany was our favorite part of our HOneymoon!
Sounds like you'll have up to 6 nights. I'd head from Florence (3 days is enough) and drive through Chianti and stay in this area N of Siena for a few nights. Try to see San Gimignano too. Then spend a few more nights in S Tuscany near Montalcino. Visit Mt de Oliveto, Pienza, Montepulciano. have Dinner at Marios in Buonconvento. THen finally head back to Rome. Sigh.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:11 AM
ira

May I suggest that you drop off the car in Orvieto, take the train into Rome, stay the night there and have your hotel arrange for a cab to take you to the airport?

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM

I second Ira's suggestion to drop the car in Orvieto & spend you last night there. Wonderful food, beautiful town.
East train ride into Rome.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:44 PM

ira and Dayle - would it be easy to drop the car and stay the last night in Orvieto, then take a train in the morning to the airport?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM

You might want to check out Castello Vicchiomaggio as a place to stay, eat, tour their winery & use as a base for your stay in Tuscany. Easily drivable from Florence, on the way to Sienna, just outside Greve in Chianti. Check out these websites for more info on Vicchiomaggio & the Chianti region:
www.tuscany.net; www.bardotti.com/greve.htp; www.vicchiomaggio.com
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions! I now have quite a few specific places and sights to look forward to. There is nothing like Italy or Italy-lovers I might add.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
ira

Hi doc,

How could I have forgotten. Drop off the car in Orvieto and have lunch at
I Sette Consoli Pzza Sant?Angelo 1A phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911

Then you can have dinner at I Sette Consoli and spend the night.

It will take about 2 hr to get from Orvieto to FCO (roma aeroporto).

See www.trenitalia.com/en
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Doc,
Definately spend the night (if not a few) in Siena. It's a wonderful city and a good central point to visit Cortona, Pienza, Montelpulciano, Montalcino, San Gimignano and Volterra. My favorite towns (and my husband's) are Montelpulciano and San Gimignano. If you end up driving to Florence through Chianti, check out the American WWII cemetary just south of Florence. It's incredibly moving and in a beautiful setting.