A Town Like St. Remy ?

Jul 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

A Town Like St. Remy ?

We're going to be in Provence and I am looking for a town "similar" to St. Remy. We stayed there last trip and loved it, but I want to try a new place. We liked that St. R was smallish but still had lots of shops and restaurants.

I've looked at Roussillon and Aix and Arles (and lots of others), but I think R seens too small and Aix and Arles too big. I have the Michelin Provence Green Guide and am checking out various towns, but I am not finding what I want.

Anyone have a town or two they would recommend?

Thank you.
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM

I love Maussane! Some good restaurants, shops, markets, cafes
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, cigalchanta. I will check it out right now.

Any others would be appreciated too. We might stay 1 week each in 2 different towns...not sure what to do. One week goes by so quickly...
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM

If you were interested in seeing a more northerly aspect Provence (the Vaucluse) you might like to take a look at Vaison la Romaine. Roman ruins, medieval castle ruins, big market, Cote du Rhone wine villages ( Sablet, Seguret, Gigondas, Vacqueyras) around the Dentelles de Montmirail, Mont Ventoux.
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Greg. We haven't limited ourselves to any one Provence area, so I will be happy to look into Vaison la Romaine.
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM

A town we loved (we stayed there for three weeks) is Bonnieux. You can see our trip report at:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...x-provence.cfm

Bonnieux has quite a few excellent restaurants, particularly for a small town, but it doesn’t have nearly the number of shops as St. Rémy. It would take you to another section of Provence, and there are lots of interesting places to visit within an hour’s drive (the region kept us entertained for three weeks).

But I should note that while Saint-Rémy-de-Provence is flat, Bonnieux is a hilltop town, in which you might walk up the equivalent of four stories to get to a patisserie. If that’s a problem, choose somewhere else. On the other hand, the views are fabulous.

Another town that others have recommended (try doing a search in the Forum) is L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. It’s flat, like St. Rémy, but a bit larger. It has an extensive market on Sundays, which we love, and which we visited three times during our three weeks in Bonnieux.

- Larry & Margie
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Lourmarin! It is smaller than St Remy but has a great selection of places to eat and shop. It is a lovely town and parking and getting in/out is easy.

Here is a link to the apartment I stayed in for 2 weeks. The link also has some photos of and information on Lourmarin.

http://www.rentourhomeinprovence.com/
Jul 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM

We had, and we recommend, the "Guidebook to the Luberon Region of Provence", which we purchased from "Provence Byways":

http://www.provencebyways.com/

We found it to be of enormous value, and we consulted it often. I was reminded to mention it here when zoecat mentioned Lourmarin, since that is the base for the guidebook, and the driving routes in the Guidebook all start there.
Jul 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM

zoecat, we almost rented that but my husband got sick.
The owners were very nice I thought from our emails.
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM

cigalechanta,

I loved staying there. I stayed in the smaller apartment since I was traveling solo. For a couple, I recommend the large apartment, although the small one would be fine also. I only corresponded with Susan and found her wonderful. I will return. I hope you have an opportunity to stay there also!
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM

unfortunately I don't drive and my husband dieed. Yes it was Susan whom I emailed. I love Lourmarin. Did you stop at
my favorite shop Cote Bastide?
Jul 11th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

justretired, I do think Bonnieux would be too steep. My sister has trouble with her knees. We were there a few years ago though and thought it was just beautiful. We also visited L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (on market day), but only for a few hours. I will look into rentals there too. Thanks for the suggestion.

zoecat, that is great. I've read about Loumarin but hadn't considered it. The book sounds like it would be very helpful. I will check out your apartment, too. It's just so difficult to get a good idea from the web. It's so nice to have a recommendation.

I really need to get busy. We leave September 6. I usually plan these things 6 months or more ahead. This is sort of a "spur of the moment" trip, so I really appreciate all the help. It takes a looooong time to sort through the guidebooks.
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Hi; You can check many apartments in Provence on this site. http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...rance/provence Just select a town and see what is available. Dick
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM

You could look at Uzès near the Pont du Gard. It is a beautiful smaller city
http://www.uzes-tourisme.com/sitegb/index.html
Jul 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Iris, thanks. I've been checking vrbo, but with so many towns, it's difficult to pick one. I am just not that familiar with the area (just a 1-week stay 2 years ago). We're really open to any area in Provence, although as I said we do prefer a nice sized town.

Thanks, Vttraveler. Uzes is one I am looking into, and I especially want to see
the Pont du Gard, but I wasn't sure about the town. Glad to hear you recommend it.
Jul 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM

uzes and the pont are not in provence but in the gard
but worth a visit on a saturday because they have a wonderful market and there's a nice hotel right in town and some very good restaurants.
Jul 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Hi; Uzes is certainly a very nice place to visit/stay. But you mentioned St. Remy. This town is an ideal place to stay with places to visit in whatever direction you take, including Uzes and the Pont du Gard. Do you have a map? Look at the map and decide what towns you want to visit. We try to locate ourselves in the center , so that whatever direction we take, it is not longer than an hour/50 miles. But we allow for exceptions. Dick
Jul 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM

We've stayed in Vaison-la-Romaine several times and enjoyed that area very much - many charming villages nearby. In September we will be in Lourmarin in the apartment mentioned above by zoecat and cigalechanta. We also have the Luberon guide book mentioned by justretired. The apartment owner, Susan, has been most helpful - can't wait!
Jul 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cigalechanta. That is what I was finding out -- so much to learn and so little time.

Iris, We have stayed in St. Remy and loved it, but we were hoping to find another similar town instead of repeating. We do have a good map of Provence, but it doesn't seem to be helping much right now.

We found what looks like a wonderful place in Vaison-la-Romaine (http://www.vrbo.com/134182) but it is not available!

Waiting for a response from http://www.rentourhomeinprovence.com/

Thanks for all the useful info and links. We love to get apartments where other fodorites have stayed. Pictures can be so deceiving....
Jul 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Hi; Another place to consider is Carpentras. With Vaison-la-Romaine just to the north. Orange to the west with it's Roman theater along with Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Gordes to the south, all within easy reach. Just a bit further, would be Uzes and the Pont du Gard. Then there is Roussillon [another place to consider staying overnight], Bonnieux and Sisteron. All well within reach for day trips. From Roussillon it would be an easy day trip to Aix. So close to St. Remy, but this is an area that stands out by itself. Dick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO