A question for Budman re adapters

Feb 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,736
A question for Budman re adapters

Budman, a while back you very kindly gave me a link to a place where I can order converters to charge our phones while we're in Ireland. I just need to double check something with you.

I decided to check Amazon.com to see if I could get the same thing for a comparable price. There's a book there I want to order so I figured my total order would be enough to lose the shipping charge. But I was very confused to see that they showed 2 or 3 different converters for Ireland.

I'm going to go back to the place you suggested as their per adapter charge is lower. Even with the $7 shipping fee, they'll be cheaper. But I want to make absolutely sure that you had no trouble anywhere in Ireland with those PB 12 adapters. I read your trip report so I know you stayed in B&B's. And I'm guessing not all of them were new buildings. In fact, I doubt whether many of them were. The Amazon page listed some for newer buildings, some for older, etc. But you were able to use the same adapters everywhere you stayed?

Thanks, Budman.
CAPH52 is offline  
Feb 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,244
This adapter should fit all outlets in both the UK and Ireland (PB-12). Where we have a 2 prongs that fit into our walls sockets, they have 3 prongs.

I've used this everywhere we went in the UK & Ireland. Others are welcome to chime in to provide comfirmation.

Budman is offline  
Feb 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,736
Thanks, Budman! As I said, I knew you'd stayed in B&B's. So I figure if you were able to use it everywhere you stayed, it should be fine. Just wanted to double check with you before I ordered.
CAPH52 is offline  
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,647
Agree with Budman. Never found any outlets that that adapter wouldn't work in. Also, know that there are small, auto-style glass fuses inside these adapters that can blow if overloaded by a bad appliance. If you trash one while overseas they can sometimes be resurrected by a visit to the local electronics shop for much less than the cost of buying a new one there.
Itallian_Chauffer is offline  
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,244
Just make sure you don't confuse the adapters with converters. The adapter only is used for "plugging things into the wall socket."

A converter is used to step down the European 220V to make it compatible with the U.S. 110V appliance.

If you have a dual voltage appliance, you have to switch it over to 220V and then you can use the adapter to plug it into the wall. If the appliance is 110V, you need to plug the appliance into the converter, plug the converter into the adapter, and then plug the adapter into the wall.

Most newer battery chargers come with 110/220V and do the conversion itself. All you have to do is use the adapter.

Your post mentions both converters & adapters, so I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you.
Budman is offline  
Feb 6th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,736
Thanks, Budman. If there was any confusion, it was my fault for using both terms! But I need them to charge cell phones and I've been told (by Cingular) that I need only adapters, not converters.

Thanks for your reply too, Bob.

I went ahead and ordered them last night.
CAPH52 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:36 AM.