A query about "Fanny"...

Aug 29th, 2000, 02:13 PM
S. C. DIXON

A query about "Fanny"...

I've seen several mentions on this site and others warning travelers not to use the term "fanny pack" while in the U.K. as it is offensive slang for female genitals.

I am curious, however, about this "unsettling" word. If it is indeed considered so vulgar why then have I seen the woman's first name, Fanny, carved in tombstones in various churchyards in England on graves ranging in age from the late 1600's up till at least the mid 1930's?

For that matter, is the song by the BeeGee's, (Austrailian lads, but reared and achieving stardom in the U.K.), "FANNY BE TENDER (WITH MY LOVE)", just some smutty anthem?

Just curious.

Aug 30th, 2000, 01:21 AM
frank

You should perhaps ask why it totally disappears after the 30's!
No "if" about the primary meaning of this word today.
Sorry,never heard of the Bee Gees song, they are not from the UK & haven't been stars here for over 20 years.
No wonder with song titles like that.....I doubt if it was made for the UK.Surely the American meaning of the word would also make the title a bit "off".

Aug 30th, 2000, 07:06 AM
jerry

You are right about the UK meaning of the word fanny. Consider the nickname of former president of the US, Richard Milhouse Nixon. Although, in his case, maybe it was not an accident. (grin)

There are some amusing websites concerning differences between US and UK English. They should be easy to find through yahoo.

Aug 30th, 2000, 07:26 AM
topper

Aug 30th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Christopher Jones

"Fanny" is a pretty jokey word for "you now know what" here in the UK. So you are unlikely to OFFEND anyone if you use the word. Just don't be surprised if someone sniggers whenever you use it. We are quite used to Americans and your quaint use of our language, so we make allowances ! ;-)

I imagine it would be similar to my asking a fellow traveller on a US train if I could borrow his rubber because I had made a mistake in writing down a phone number.

By the way, there are PLENTY of pseudo-Jane-Austen comedy sketches which get cheap laughs by giving a demure-looking deb the name of "Fanny". "How is your Fanny getting on in London, Mrs Fluffywig ?"

Chris
Sheffield

Aug 31st, 2000, 02:04 PM
S. C. DIXON

So, I reckon Fanny Brice, aka "FUNNY GIRL" is a right laugh-riot.

Sep 5th, 2000, 06:46 AM
celia

Just disagreeing with Frank's comments regarding the Bee Gees. If they haven't been stars in the UK for over 20 years, how come in the last 3-4 years they have managed to fill Wembley Stadium, have a No 1 selling album and a West End Stage show based on one of their soundtracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank - where have you been????????

Sep 5th, 2000, 05:14 PM
topper

Sep 6th, 2000, 11:48 AM
SharonM

...Not a BeeGees fan, but actually the Bee Gees ARE British, Frank!!!
Otherwise, I believe the nickname Fanny is short for Frances (or is Francis the Fem. version?)
Goodness knows, there are certainly many twists and versions to words and phrases in the English language, depending on where one is from. Just look at the "oops I didn't mean to say that" (or whatever it was called) thread!!! Makes things pretty interesting and fun, I think.

Sep 7th, 2000, 05:33 AM
Bob

In England they call them Bum Bags.

Sep 7th, 2000, 06:38 AM
John

I believe the Bee-Gees are Australian! Either way, they were (are) a great songwriters/performers
JOHN

Sep 7th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Tony Hughes

The Bee Gees were deported to one of the colonies in the late 1970's for the crime of murder - of popular music.

Paroled in the mid 1980's they worked their way back to Britain on various trading ships from the east indies, re-infecting the country with their brand of dental centered mayhem. Fannies, the lot of 'em!

Sep 7th, 2000, 09:52 PM
ooo

ROTFLMAO

Sep 8th, 2000, 08:35 AM
frank

Reply : The Bee Gees are NOT British, they don't even have British accents.
If they were they'd know better than to issue songs with "fanny" in the title!

Sep 8th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Karen

The Bee Gees ARE British. Unfortunately I have a good friend who used to be a massive fan (shameful) and I know a lot more than I care to about the Bee Gees - I even MET them (and they were actually very nice people). I think their parents moved to Australia when they were very very young but they originally lived on the Isle of Man.

Sep 9th, 2000, 10:53 AM
celia

Putting the facts straight! The Bee Gees were born on the Isle of Man. They moved to Manchester, before leaving the UK for Australia. They all have homes in the UK (I live near Robin)and if you listen carefully, they all have a slight Mancunian accent!!!

If asked - undoubtly all three (4 if Andy were still alive), were state that they were British.

So there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!