London to Paris

Jun 7th, 2000, 03:55 PM
bearcat140

London to Paris

I am planning a trip for 2 to London and Paris for October 2000. Any suggestions on great places to stay in both cities...need fitness center on site. Also, is Eurostar the best way to travel from London to Paris?

Thanks for your help

Jun 7th, 2000, 06:38 PM
Christine

Eurostar is definitely the best way to get from London to Paris. Very convenient and fast. My best recommendation for a hotel in London is the Swallow International. It's a good four blokc walk from the Gloucester Road tube stop. It's reasonably priced and the small gym, sauna, steamroom and indoor pool are included in the price. I've never heard of another hotel in LOndon that doesn't charge extra! I think it includes breakfast too -- a decent one too! There's nothing like a good steam after riding the dirty tube all day!

I recommend staying in hotel in the 6th in Paris. But I seriously doubt you'll find one with a gym. Most hotels in the charming center of Paris aren't large enough to have gyms. I think there's a Hilton near the Eiffel Tower buy there's nothing else near there. Feel free to email me directly if you have questions.

Jun 7th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Christine

Oh yea -- you can earn United Mileage on Eurostar. Don't forget!

Jun 8th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Linda

I wanted to take the chunnel too, but it was much cheaper for me to fly(I'm going next week). I found very cheap airfares on British Midland, Air France and British Airways. - Finding hotels with a gym will probably mean sacrificing charm. It will probably be more of a business type hotel.

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:01 PM
Christine

When comparing prices, be sure to include the price of a cab or train ticket from CDG into Paris city center. Plus factor in the time it takes too (40 min?). Also, flying British Midland, don't you have to leave from Gatwick? That's a good 30 min. train ride out of the city and it will cost you $15 just for a ticket. It takes about that long to get to Heathrow too on the tube but it's a bit cheaper.

I think Eurostar is worht a bit more money for speed and convenience.

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Bill

Obviously, anyone who is staying at an upscale hotel with gym etal for $400/$500 per night for the entire month of October could care less about the cost of transportation between London to Paris. They should just take the most expensive way and enjoy.

Jun 8th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Thyra

Hi Bearcat. A few thoughts on the fitness center thing. As has been mentioned you will most likely sacrifice charm and be placed into more business class hotels. Also, from one fitness affectionado to another what is considered a fitness center in Europe does not necessarily mean the same level of equipment or maintenance you are familiar with in your home town. I have stayed at places that specified Fitness Center, work out room or gym and gotten a squeaky exercise bike and a broken stairclimber. Experience led me to book hotels close to a nice, safe park so that I can go for a jog in the morning before setting out, plus I do resistance training in my hotel room, abs arms etc. Some of my best experiences have been jogging through Hyde Park (London) or the Luxembourg Gardens (in Paris) just as the spring flowers were starting to bloom! I hope this helps you.

Sep 9th, 2000, 11:15 AM
lynn

What's the best way to get a ticket for the Eurostar? We're contemplating a March trip to Paris, and would like to go from there to London. Should we use the web site (www.eurostar.com, for example) or buy tickets in France?