Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A place to stop between Doolin and Dublin

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been planning my trip now for several weeks by reading different opinions from travelers off this site. It has been both stressful and extremely helpful at the same time. After my most recent post several have suggested that I cut out two areas in order to have more time in some places.

Day 1- Arrive from Shannon and drive to Doolin see Cliffs and spend night

Day 2- I was suppose to arrive in Galway and spend the day and night here. However, many said because its race week the crowds are huge and I might want to cut this out. The plan was to drive to Dublin the next day after spending the night in Galway, and spend Day/night 3 & 4 there before departing to Glendougah, Kilkenny day 5, Rock of Cashel, Casir Day 6, Nights 7 and 8 in Cork as I have a friend from college who lives there. Then Dingle day 9 and part of next day before heading to Bunratty on Day 10.

So where are my modifications? If I cut out Galway on Day 2 is there a cool town where I could stop in between Doolin and Dublin? I dont want to waste all of Day 2 driving and not seeing anything cool. However, others have suggested that it would be better for me to split up the drive to Dublin on Day 2 rather than spend all day on morning of Day 3 in the car to Dublin. So if anyone could recommend a town with something to see to settle in for the night somewhere in the middle (doesnt have to be half way) between Doolin and Dublin that would be great.

**** Another suggestion was from Cork to head straight to Dingle without stopping in Killarney since I only plan on about 36 hours in Dingle. Any Ideas on this? Is it vital that I see Dingle? Everyone is saying so. Please help!

Thanks you all!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, can't help with a town between Doolin and Dublin, but I'd say yes, Dingle is vital! I did much of your trip last June (minus Cork but plus a few other things) and Dingle was probably THE most beautiful place of all. Don't miss it! Frankly, I'd cut DUBLIN before I'd cut Dingle! Check out my trip report (search on "Penny and Karen Ireland adventure"). And have fun! You will love Ireland. Note my B&B recommendation for Cashel - it was delightful.
Karen
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:04 AM

after doolin/cliffs, the best!

if you are set on dublin...
(which we enjoyed for the historic sites...but must admit that we enjoyed boyne valley north of dublin and glendalough/wicklow south of dublin more)

why not do cashel/cahir one way
(the bru boru center has a really good music evening, we skipped the dinner and just did the show)swiss cottage in the same area was interesting to us, the rock is lit up at night, very nice

then coming back, hit glendalough and kilkenny, don't miss jerpoint abbey just outside of kilkenny-one of our favorites

spend your 2 nights w/cork/friend

that would free up a day to tour killarney national park (muckross house/abbey, ross castle, ladies view, moll's gap)

I would head on towards dingle and spend the next 2 nights...that's an extra pub night!

then end in bunratty

have a grand time...slainte
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Chip:

Thank you. About how long of a drive do you think it is from Doolin to Cashel? about 2 1/2 hours?
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM

I used the AA website to map out routes. Here is the address> http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc...s_redirect.jsp.

It says 2 hours and 8 minutes. I've read you need to add 25% to whatever they tell you.