a night between Pompeii and Rome

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 10:37 AM
mohan

a night between Pompeii and Rome

I figure I'll need a whole day to spend at Pompeii. I figure I'll be tired and I better stay somewhere on the way to Rome because I heard driving into or in Rome is crazy. What is a decent inexpensive place to spend a night anywhere between Pompeii and Rome? It would be nice to wake up to a nice scenery. Thanks.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 11:55 AM
not-the-real-topper

Let's get back to answering people's questions now.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Steve James

Hello Mohan,

One of the nicest places between Pompeii and Rome is the medieval town of SPERLONGA. It's on the coast, about half way between Naples and Rome. I can't suggest a particular hotel, - but that would be my choice for a stop-over.

Steve

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:10 PM
linda

Steve is right. Sperlonga is an excellent town to overnight. And plan on spending about an hour the next morning, before you leave for Rome, to wander around Old Town. No special places to see, but the walk will be an experience you won't want to miss. Then it's only about another hour to Rome from there.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:40 PM
wendy

I'm not sure that you'll need the whole day in Pompeii. We got there at 9;30, coming from Positano. WE had a guided tour of Pompeii, hung around another half of an hour, and then arrived in Rome by 3:30. I don't know that you need a stop over. Why don't you just drive straight to Rome? It is an extremely easy drive.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 09:07 AM
mohan

Thankyou for all the useful replies. Steve and Linda, I really appreciate your recommendation of Sperlonga. I am looking into it.
Wendy, from everything I've read, pompeii is the highlight and driving into rome is horrible. But actually it's a sunday, Would I be wrong to assume that there will be much less traffic?