Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Nice Little Cafe in Jordaan/Western Canal Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Mary

My husband and I are going to Amsterdam for the first time in a few weeks. We will be staying at the Canal House in the Jordaan/Western Canal area. We love to hear suggestions about any cozy, romantic cafes that serve good food in the area.<BR><BR>Thanks so much!<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Lorene

Mary -- My husband and I are also going to Amsterdam this summer and are staying in the Canal house. When will you be there? Our dates are 8/10-12 and then on to Edinburgh. We, too, could use some suggestions about cozy, romantic cafes in the area.<BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:24 PM
Tom

Dear Mary and Lorene,<BR><BR>One of my favourite cafes in the Jordaan is De Tuin in Tweede Tuindwarstraat. There are usually plenty of locals there. It is a very relaxing place to spend a few hours in. The sandwiches and cakes are really good.<BR><BR>Papeneiland, near the Noorderkerk, is a very old Jordaan brown bar, which does great onion soup.<BR><BR>'t Smalle on Egelantiersgracht is another favourite of mine. There's a terrace out at the canal, but I love it inside. Lunches and beers are both great.<BR><BR>Lunchcafe Winkel on Noordermarkt does great appelgebak. It's a popular place.<BR><BR>De Reiger on Nieuwe Leliestraat fits your bill too.<BR><BR>Amsterdam is THE place for cozy, romantic cafes. I'd enjoy hearing about your holiday as first-timers there. I know you'll have a grand time!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
Mary

Dear Tom:<BR><BR>Thanks so much for your suggestions. We've had so much fun looking them up on internet this afternoon. They all look so cozy and quaint -- we just can't wait to try them! My husband and I return from Amsterdam on June 30th so I will be able to give a full report before Lorene goes on her trip.<BR><BR>Again, many thanks!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 09:24 PM
John

I don't remember the name of the place, but try this: out the door of the Canal House, turn left, walk along the canal to the first street on your left. Turn and walk half way to the next canal, the Prinsengracht. The restaurant/bar is on the left side of the street. I suppose it qualifies as a brown cafe. It's wonderful. <BR><BR>Boy, that's helpful, eh?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
Mary

Thanks for the directions, John. A little mystery adds to the romance. We'll look for your special cafe.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Terra

Hi There<BR><BR>I live in this area that you mention, and it is so lovely! Part of the fun is just walking around and picking a nice place to sit while watching the boats on the canals roll on by (lucky me I can watch from my living room!)<BR><BR>t' Smalle is one of my favourites (already mentioned here). Also, there is a cafe on the corner of Herengracht and Herenstraat which is very very nice, and they put tables right on the edge of the canal. Nice. Finally, Molenpad on the prinsengracht is very good too (and serve a good lunch--salads are particulary yummy). <BR><BR>Have fun!!<BR>Terra

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Mary

Great to hear that t'Smalle is on your list of favorites as well, Terra. If you walk by the cafe sometime between June 22 - 25 and see two very content Americans enjoying a nice meal and a bit of wine (or beer!), it could very well be us! We're looking forward to trying all of the wonderful spots that you, Tom & John have recommended! <BR><BR>See you in the Jordaan (maybe)!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:49 PM
Terra

Hi Mary--<BR><BR>I will keep an eye out for you!!<BR><BR>If you need any assistance or if you have more questions, feel free to email me privately: [email protected]. <BR><BR>One other thing you might like, on Saturdays there are 2 outdoor markets in the area. The first goes the length of the Lindengracht. Here you can buy anything from eggs (straight from the hen) to pantyhose. There is a guy that has a stand somewhere in the middle who makes fresh hot ham sandwhiches with saurkrout (spelling?) Soooo tasty. <BR><BR>The second market is right around the corner, in the Noodermarkt. This has more organic/natural products and produce. One highlight is the crepes stand-- choose your topping and eat it hot on the spot. <BR><BR>Again, have fun! <BR><BR>Terra

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Gyorgy

<BR>ttt

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Mary

Thanks for you other great suggestions Terra. We love to stroll around outdoor markets and a canalside picnic could be terrific for lunch one afternoon.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Bart

TTT

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:04 PM
kmarie

topping

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Jim

Hello Mary, my wife and I are also going Amsterdam in Mid July, also staying at the Canal House. Would like to keep in touch for the good & bad, so we may benefit from your trip. Keep us in mind. We are from Pittsburgh, Pa. USA

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Mary

We promise to post a full report here when we return.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Tom

<BR>Dear Mary,<BR><BR>When are you leaving for Amsterdam? I reckon it must be pretty soon. A friend of mine has just returned from spending five nights at the Canal House, and said it was absolutley adorable. He loved everything about it. He has stayed at two other hotels in Amsterdam before, and said this is his favourite by far, so it looks like you've struck gold with your accommodation!<BR><BR>I wish you a wonderful holiday in one of my favourite cities, and look forward to reading your trip report some time after June 30th. Tot ziens!<BR><BR>Yours, Tom

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM
kmarie

<BR>Mary, have a wonderful time in Amsterdam!<BR><BR>We were there in April, stayed at the Hotel Toren, just a few doors away from the Canal House. The location was great--easy walk to many places of interest and only two blocks from Westermarkt and tram stop. We found the block itself to be quiet and charming, overlooking the Keizergracht.<BR><BR>If you leave the hotel and turn right, the first street and canal you come to is Leliegracht. Turn right. A bit more than half-way up the block is Spanjer & Van Twist, a very casual, very popular place with daily specials (in Dutch) on the chalkboard. We enjoyed the fish preparations. Open kitchen. No reservations. Outdoor seating along the canal is available. Friendly help (and translations) from our server. Not much to choose from when it came to wine but there were some beer selections.<BR><BR>On the same block is Christophe's; seems like quite an elegant place and more of a splurge than we were looking for.<BR><BR>Not in the neighborhood is Brasserie Bark. It's near the Concertgebouw and Museumplein, has excellent seafood dishes. You can see their menu on their website; they also have interesting daily specials. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Mary

Thanks Tom . We're glad to know your friend enjoyed The Canal House. I happened to be leafing through one of the books in "Hip Hotels" series by Herbert Ympa the other day and was happily suprised to see a section on The Canal House. There were some very nice photos and a bit of interesting text about how the city fathers passed laws in the 1970s to save Amsterdam's canal houses and subsidize families who wanted to renovate them. We're looking forward to staying in one of the many beautiful buildings that has been preserved.<BR><BR> Thanks also to KMarie for all of your great dining suggestions.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Babs

We just returned from Amsterdam a few weeks ago and we miss it so much. While I think it's good to get some ideas of cafes before you go, there is no shortage of nice ones to choose from. We stayed at the Canal House as well - nice hotel in a very good location. As far as cafes go, we ate at a couple of different ones every night and they were all good. (Sorry, can't remember the names but they are on the canal on the street behind the Canal House.) They have great goat cheese salads with honey-thyme dressing. Dmitri's serves this amazing mustard soup - not mustard greens but the mustard seeds. It was so unusual and very tasty. The best thing about the cafes is that you can sit at the outside tables for hours. Beautiful buildings and canals, friendly people, and good food and drink.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Mary

Just back from an absolutely wonderful vacation in Amsterdam and I wanted to thank you all (Tom, Terra, John, kmarie, Babs) for your suggestions. The Jordaan area is truly magical (beautiful buildings, charming people, pretty bridges and canals, wonderful open air markets.... and (sigh!) many romantic restaurants). <BR><BR>Firstly, Canal House was terrific! We had a little room on the top floor that faced the canal. Loved taking in the views of the uplit houses and bridges before nodding off to sleep each night and waking up to a beautiful view of the cityscape each morning.<BR><BR>Every meal we had during our stay was delicious -- especially the lamb, cheeses, breads and seafood. Below are some of our favorite places (based on very good advice from all of you, the staff at the Canal House and a few happy discoveries of our own)<BR><BR>Brown Cafes<BR>**************<BR><BR>Cafe t'Smalle, 12 Egelantiersgracht - small (as the name would indicate) charming, canalside spot that serves delicious sandwiches. Great fun to sit outside and watch the little boats go by and listen to strolling musicians who sometimes stop by to perform.<BR><BR>Cafe Papeneiland, 2 Prisengracht - beautiful Delft tile walls and great soups. On the canal and near the open markets that grace the neighborhood on the weekends.<BR><BR>Romantic Little Restaurants<BR>*******************************<BR> Prego Restaurant, 25 Herenstraat - narrow storefront restaurant not much wider than the wooden champagne crate filled with hydrangea that graces the window. We absolutely loved the food, the wine and the staff!<BR><BR>Claes Claesz, 24-6 Egelantiersstraat - small ,simple cafe on a tiny side alley-like street. The fondue for two is heavenly and there is frequently live jazz on the weekends. (view from the windows would be nicer if neighbor across the street would paint his building).<BR><BR>Two Great Places Worth a Splurge <BR>**************************************<BR>Blak es, 384 Keisergracht - stunning decor, friendly staff and perhaps the most amazing meal I have had in my entire life! A "wow" in every sense of the word.<BR><BR>Restaurant Christophe, 46 Leliegracht - another top-notch restaurant. Small intimate space, excellent wines, and amazing desserts. <BR><BR>P.S. Make sure to take Terra's suggestion about visting the outdoor organic market at Noodermarkt. Beautiful artisan cheeses, fresh breads, herbs and vegetables can be gathered for a canalside picnic. And don't forget to visit the "crepe ladies" We went several times for the delicious hot crepes they made to order while you watch. We loved it!<BR><BR>Thanks again everyone for your sage advice. You made our vacation a very special one!<BR> <BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -