Reload this Page >

A New Packing Idea, Do You Agree?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Sherry

My friend and I just returned from a three week trip to Europe and when we were packing for the return trip, we could not cram all of our clothes and all of our purchases back in the suitcase and had to buy cheap carryons. Then on the plane we came up with a new idea for next trip:<BR>Just take the very bare minimum in clothes from home, like two of everything or less, and then buy what we want to wear over there. This way we will get the latest styles, there will be no worry about packing correctly for the weather, and we can stop buying when we have a full suitcase. Sounds reasonable doesn't it?<BR>Any ideas?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Nora

Or you could pack a duffle bag in you suitcase going over to have a 'return' bag. However, I will never prevent anyone from shopping.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Jen

Those of us who are not looking for an excuse to buy new clothes do the following: take one small,carryon suitcase with a collapsible tote inside it. Then, on the way home, the collapsible tote gets stuffed wtih laundry and checked, the carryon with our new (sometimes fragile) treasures gets, um, carried on.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Sure

For Sherry, yes of course, it is a great idea! Actually some people pack that light even if they aren't going shopping *LOL*<BR><BR>I usually carry-on my luggage, a 22" rolling suitcase, on the way over. On the way home I check that and carry-on a bag (even just a nice paper shopping bag) with anything new or breakable.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:18 PM
orgy7

I sometimes do that or I give my clothes away too the cleaning lady at the hotel...

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
NYGirl

It sounds perfect to me

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Gretchen

If you are "into" shopping for clothes then that is fine. It does take a lot of time away from other forms of sightseeing. Also I have not found clothes to be a particularly good buy in France, for example.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Sherry

I usually don't get "into" shopping for clothes until I get to Europe and see all the wonderful clothes and the new styles and the lush fabrics. Then I pop into a shop and the rest is history. The shoes too have such good quality and such soft leather that I melt. But I always have time for eating and museuming too.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:10 PM
jack

I simply took some thermal clothes(short sleeved) and then short sleeved shirts. That way I was warm if it got cold (had one jacket) and cool if it got hot but also had the bare minimum of clothes. <BR><BR>My wife and I shared a 22" suitcase this way. We also had a change of clothes in a backpack, just in case AF lost the luggage. ON the way back our extra stuff we bought fit into an extra bag we had but didn't use on the way over.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Peg

Good ideas! Has anyone taken an empty regular sized suitcase or packed a 22" in one, just to have two on the way back? Sounds like a good idea, I just thought it up.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:35 PM
sadie

My brother and my son both used this method:<BR><BR>Hang on to older clothes until you are leaving for your trip (or purchase some "gently used" items at thrift stores). Use them on your travels and leave them behind when you are done with them.<BR><BR>My brother packed 20 outfits for a 19 day trip. He left one outfit behind each day, making sure to let the maid know they were free to anyone that wanted them. <BR><BR>He had so much room left at the end of his tour that he ended carrying items for friends who hadn't planned as well It made him real popular with some of the girls in the group!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:52 PM
orgy7

Why bother stuffing your luggage with more luggage .. when your shopping use the same bag they gave you at the store or ask for a bigger bag.. airlines wont bug you too much about a plastic bag in adition too your carry ons <BR><BR>Of course I'm a guy and don't buy much.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Sam

have you tried that extra-carryon-bag trick lately? Most airlines have gotten very strict.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Ronda

Yes, I got caught. Hurried up and stuffed my purse into the carryon.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:19 PM
lite pack

Well, we each used to carry on our 22" suitcases & a small carry on-did this for all our trips. But now with the strict inforcements, how can you do this if you've packed a sissors, nail, file or razers? <BR>So now we figure we just have to put that case through. <BR>Would like to hear from anyone who has tried to carry on the above items.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Squish!

1. Wear "disposable clothing," as my father calls it. Clothing that you can throw out to make room in your luggage and you won't miss it.<BR><BR>2. Bring a bunch of 2.5-gallon ziplock bags. Pack your stuff into them, sit on them to squeeze out the air, and then seal the zip-lock.<BR><BR>3. Do what other posters have said and pack a collapsible bag into your primary bag. I survived two weeks in Italy with just a personal bag and a 9x14x22 (that was really 11" high, not 9") suitcase. Crammed into that suitcase was a duffle bag compressed down, so that when I left, I had one more suitcase than when I arrived. I carried on the duffle bag and my personal bag, and checked the suticase.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Sean

There is no way around it, you have to check at least one bag with scissers, etc. I tried to go through with only my 22" bag and my little tiny corkscrew that I had forgotten about in my toiletrie bag was taken away.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
orgy7

Lite pack.. I was in and out of HONG KONG this year and on the 6th time threw the transfer check point. my nail clippers were confiscated. <BR><BR>I remember I once bought a litle saurai sword envalope opener at Narita airport TOKYO. at the security check they opened my bag and saw the sword they held it up and where speaking in Japanees. So I just looked up and pointed at the store which sold japanees swords and blades. they smiled and placed it back in the bag. <BR><BR>yep times have changed..

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Marilyn

Orgy7, we had a small extra plastic shopping bag coming from Bangkok to SF (this was in addition to our allowed carryons). The only reason for the extra bag was it held a small stone sculpture which was pretty heavy and awkwardly shaped, so it was easier to carry it separately instead of in a carryon. No problem in Bangkok or HK, but we had to change planes in LA and boy did they give us a hard time about the plastic bag. Would NOT let us move past security until we repacked the stuff right there in front of their eyes. They were also unnecessarily rude and unpleasant about the whole thing. We did try to keep our cool, but since we had already boarded 2 planes it was a bit frustrating.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:50 PM
d.r.

I save old underwear, shoes, slacks, and shirts, pack them in my suitcase when I travel abroad and leave them there. I only bring home the outfit I wore over/back on the plane. You'll be amazed at the room you have in your suitcase. Done this for years and it's great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -