Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Month in Greece-Itinerary Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just beginning to plan our spring 2015 trip to Greece. Our approximate travel dates are April 21st-May 21st. We are not locked in to those exact dates, but will need to return home by May 25 latest.

We would like to spend about 10-12 days on the mainland. After arriving in Athens, we plan on renting a car to visit Delphi, Nafplio, Corinth & Olympia. Of this 10-12 days, we would like to spend 4 days or so in Athens, but this could be at the end of our trip.

So far, we are looking at Crete (about a week), Rhodes 4-6 days, and 3-4 days on Santorini. We plan on renting a car on Crete, also.

We are two young at heart, adventurous and fairly well traveled seniors! We are not interested in a beach/resort vacation, but look forward to seeing some great archeological sites, enjoying some delicious Greek food, exploring the streets of cities, towns and villages. We prefer to stay in mid size towns or cities rather than small villages--we are easily bored!

We are not opposed to a dip in the ocean or a pool if the weather is hot, but we're not worried if it's not warm enough for swimming.

I realize it's too early to look at ferry schedules, etc; but we are wondering what makes the most sense from a logistical standpoint. We were thinking of Athens-Crete-Rhodes-Santorini-Athens-home to the US. Is this a logical order of travel? We are open to either flying or ferries between islands/mainland.

Thanks in advance for any advice--it's much appreciated!
TVQ
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 08:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did a similar plan . We visited four islands, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos and Paros. Paros and Naxos were our favorite as it seemed real not existing for tourism alone.Also, they are not visited by cruise ships with their crowded tours. Our least favorite place in Greece ended up being Santorini as it was so touristy, crowded and it was the only place we were surrounded by other Americans. It looked Greek but didn't feel like it. The views are spectacular.
We didn't get to Rhodes as it was so far east of the other islands.
On the Peloponnesean Pen we stayed in wonderful Napflio for several days to explore the Mycenae, then Sparta to see Mystras, and lastly Olympia. We also stayed in Delphi overnight and enjoyed that experience. We also visited the green island of Spetses from Napflio. This part of the trip was especially rewarding.
We rented a house in Crete near Chania and enjoyed touring W.Crete.
Crete is nearest to Santorini so taking the ferry to Santorini from Crete makes sense. We flew and took ferries to, from and between the islands and mainland.
It can get confusing so, even though we normally don't use them , we booked this trip with a travel agent in Athens as they can coordinate the ferry schedules and hotel bookings. We had one private guide for the Acropolis which was very worthwhile. We enjoyed Athens.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 01:18 PM

It sounds like you are going to have an adventure. I too plan early and already have flight booked for 2015.
April is early season, even up to Mid May you will find it pretty quiet and the weather may be a bit iffy with clouds and some rain, of course sunny as well. Is there any chance you can push it back to say May 1 to June 1?
So on your plan.
We arrived transatlantic at 10:30 AM and immediately rented a car and drove to Ancient Nemia just past Corinth. It is not a well known site but it is a good one. It had its own stadium and games. It will take about an hour which got us into Nafplio about 2:30. I normally do not recommend driving after a long flight but coffee and adrenalin worked. We opted to visit Corinth on the return to Athens at the end of the trip.
It is a lovely town and gives you the opportunity to rest up do a little wandering around the old town and perhaps a visit to Palimidi fortress.
You can do day trips to Mycenae perhaps Epidaurus and Tiyrns the home of Hercules is jut 3 KM from Nafplio. You should probably plan on at least three nights in Nafplio.
From there you can head south to the great site at Mystras and perhaps scoot over to Monemvassia and spend the night in a period room inside a 15th century fortified town.
Here are images of that portion of the trip.
Nafplio and Peloponnese http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094108982/

You can travel to Olympia and start early which should give you time to get to Delfi for the evening.
After Delfi we decided to see Meterora. It is about 5 hours from Delfi but in my opinion was certainly worth the trip.
Here are images
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645469717811/
Once you return to Athens I would suggest you fly south in search of sun. We found Rhodes to be quite touristy but lots to see and do.
Lindos and Rhodes http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634754696058/
There is ferry from Rhodes to Crete.
You can easily spend two weeks in just west Crete and not see it all. It is special. Like Happy trvlr we make Chania our base, rent a car and do day trips to places like Ancient Aptera, Balos Gramovossa although you may be too early for that excursion. Also Rethymnon is a nice town to spend a few days as well.
Western Crete http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632115757899/
If it is warm you could slip down to the Libyan sea on the south coast and perhaps visit the lovely villages of Sougia,Loutro Agia Romuli and Chora Sfakion. That coastal trip is done entirely by short ferry hops.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645487373222/
have fun planning
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the great information. I'm slowly putting together an itinerary--it's like a big jig-saw puzzle!

Stanbr: I enjoyed your great photos, thanks.

I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Hi Vacation Queen,

You seem to have your "ducks in a row" as far as a loose itinerary (or path) Rhodes, of course, should be first or last on the way to or from Athens.

I am happy to help any way I can in suggesting places or people to see/meet etc. I write for the official Visit Greece blog here, and many other travel news sites etc. Crete, you will find, is a difficult place to leave.

The time you are arriving, believe it or not, is the best time of all. I'll share some local flavor here next week if I can get Fodors' boss to let me. Meanwhile, here is a FANTASTICO! Villa experience you guys would never forget. Our friends (everyone on Crete is now I think) Georgia and Dennis (Dionysius) have several village wonders like this.

http://blog.visitgreece.gr/metochi-v...n-hospitality/

Just holler and I can share stuff from our photographer too Queenie.