A.M. Arrival in Dublin

Search

A.M. Arrival in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A.M. Arrival in Dublin

Our flight arrives in Dublin 5:30AM on a Sunday this summer. Requested early hotel check in, which I can't depend on. What's there to do at this hour?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM

By the time you arrive at your hotel, it will probably be around 8:00 AM. You can find a nice restaurant for breakfast, visit a church for Sunday services or BOTH. Have a nice trip!!! Mike
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Yup, exactly what barbmike said. It takes a while to land, deplane, gather luggage, get rental/taxi, get to hotel, drop off bags (which they should do whether they check you in or not)... then go out for breakfast
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM

What Hotel? I.E. What part of town? If nothing they should be able to hold your bags until check in. Let me know the area and it will help for places to go that early.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi SiobhanP,
We will be staying at the Westin. Got my days mixed up, arriving on a Friday, not on Sunday. Two nights only...looking for a pub dinner for one, and one of your finer restaurants the second night. Thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:10 AM

If you get in the hotel approx 8am after checking in head towards rtemple bar which is a side street across from the hotel. On this street you will pass a hard rock cafe on the right and the boxty house. Just past this is Elephant and castle which have a great breakfast. It opens 8-8:30 in the morning and I actually got a craving last week for american style pancakes and went in before work and had a wonderful breakfast. they also have Irish breakfast, porridge. Very chilled out cafe restaurant. Get a paper from one of the newsagent on the way and ask for a window seat. You will watch the world go by on their way to work. Its a nice way to spend the first morning breakfast.

Pub dinners are much the same to me. Most do do dinner but carvery lunch. Try Davy Dyrnes on S anne street off Grafton street. Its the pub mentioned in James Joyce Ulysses. Or try O'Neills on Suffolk street for carvery lunch. What are your tastes for nicer meals? How much etc. Sunbday Brunch at the Westin is fantastic from a friends review 2 weeks ago. Pricey at 40 euro pp but buffet style with glass of champagne. They thought it was very good.

I assume you are dining alone from your post. Are you comfortable in an upmarket place alone? Also people tend to eat later but you would hgave a better chance at the weekend booking an earlier table.

Darwins on Angier street gets excellent reviews. Meats sourced from an organic farm (Owner was a butcher) and well presented food.

Odessa - Funky trendy place. Small menu but great atmospgere in a 60-70's style vibe.

To break the bank the 2 most expensive places would be Patrick Guilbauld in the Merrion Hotel or Shanahans on the green which has the only angus beef certified steaks from Ireland (once again they own the farm/herd etc).

In the merrion is a lovely little restaurant for much less aacalled the cellar restaurant in the basement. It is a lovely light and airy decorated room and I ate there a while back a lovely meal.

Give me more detail on your tastes and then i can reccommend better
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

SiobhanP,
Thanks for the quick reply. My wife will be with me on my visit.
Had looked into Patrick Guilbauld already. Looked nice, but didn't want to go to Dublin to eat French food. Will check out you other suggestions; looks like there are many choices. Really looking for a "typical" Irish meal, what ever that is.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:09 AM

OK typical irish is a horrible touristy [place like the boxty house. there is some nice fine dining in Dyblin like Ecrivan, Chapter one(IOneca again awarded best restaurant in Dublin) Thorntons in the Fitzwilliam hotel. Peploes is lovely on St Stephens green as is Browns.

Check for Dublin info
http://www.thedubliner.ie/template.p...eName=whattodo

Bars in Dublin
http://www.thedubliner.ie/template.p...eName=bestbars

Best of Dublin
http://www.thedubliner.ie/template.p...ame=bestdublin

Some lunch places (the first three are no longer in Business
http://www.10best.com/Dublin/Restaur...nch/index.html

For something Modern Irish try Ely wine bar. They also have an organic farm to source their meat. Great wine list.

http://www.elywinebar.ie/htmlsite/index.asp