A Fun Weekend In Spain

Search

A Fun Weekend In Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Fun Weekend In Spain

Although caught up in the excitement of trying to run with the bulls in Pamplona and the World Cup, I did spend my weekend seeing other parts of Spain. I enjoyed all of it, hope you will too.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Spain, I Am Falling Hundreds Of Feet Per Second

In the darkness of my sleep, I sense I am falling hundreds if not thousands of feet per second. Nevertheless, I have little fear as my subconscious mind tells me I am in for a wonderful surprise. Peeking from behind heavy eyelids, I open a window shade and my dream perception is confirmed.

On board Delta 108, we are well into our descent for Madrid, Spain. Hours ago, somewhere over the North Atlantic, dinner was served. A night cap with a guy named Jack and girl named Ginger (Jack Daniels and Canada Dry Ginger Ale), I vaguely remember reclining my seat.

Now I am taking in a view of Spain from thousands of feet up in the air. The skies above are clear and blue accented only by an occasional whisper cloud. The air below is also clear and gives a great view of the Spanish landscape.

With the morning sun warming it's left side, the airplane's shadow follows us all the way to a smooth touch.

Bienvenidos, A Madrid!

Arriving in Madrid like most European airports, the immigration and custom procedures are how they should be at most airports.

Most travelers are just that, travelers and not everyone needs to be treated like a suspect. Some countries especially the one that starts with the letter “U” needs to take note.

A brief stop at Tourist Information booth for a Madrid city map and I head over to Sixt Rental Car Company to pick up my rental car. E$135 for a 3 day rental. Sixt runs a nice operation and my car is ready as promised.

Capitalizing on “The Spirit Of Mobility”, I begin asking questions. Que via a Pamplona? Which way to Pamplona? You mean San Fermin? Si, si.

Leaving or arriving at a foreign airport can always be a challenge however exiting the Madrid Airport is a breeze. I'm soon on A1 headed towards Burgos. It's a beautiful warm day about 82 (28C) degrees.

A1 soon follows open country with rolling hills and distant mountains.

Along the way, I encounter my first bull that I am sure I do not want to tangle with. I keep my distance and ease on down the road.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Jami12,

Glad you enjoyed it!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Spain, Buitrago del Lozoya

Although A1 will take me to Burgos then Pamplona, the scenery so far seems to tempting not to stray a little. My plan is to arrive in Pamplona before the start of fireworks at 11pm. Before long, I take a road less traveled as I depart A1 at exit 74 and find myself in Buitrago del Lozoya.

Located here is Museo Picasso. Offering free admission this cute little museum displays some of Picasso's works given to his barber a local from Buitrago. I am unnerved a little by a piece “muerto del toro” as it reminds me of the dangers of what I hope to accomplish in Pamplona.

Sharing the building with city hall, I think this museum with it's unique exhibits is worth the stop.

Browsing a local hardware store, I purchase a 120 Volt for $E1.40 to replace one I left at a friend's home in Istanbul. A bargain!

A few doors at a grocery store I buy a local beer, salmon pate and a fresh warm baguette. A E$3.00 lunch.

At a nearby park bench, I crack open the salmon pate and with a twist, the end of the fresh broken baguette is coated. Complimented with a sip of cold Mahou beer, my taste buds are pleased with my choice for lunch. I am not sitting long at the bench before it becomes a meeting point for a group of traveling kids.

Donde eres? (Where are you from?) I exchange questions with a few kids carrying or drinking 2 liters of Coke or Orange soda.

Just a few minutes from where I sit is Santa Maria Del Castillo. Located within a fortified enclosure it is a church from the mid 15th century. Even with a dimly light interior, the 15th century construction and decor is impressive. During my visit there, I meet the parish priest and exchange pleasantries although mostly with mutual smiles.

Leaving Santa Maria I pass through an ancient arch. The afternoon temperature has risen significantly and the VW air conditioner is welcomed relief. Leaving Buitrago, I get one more glimpse of this city’s history and don’t miss the chance for a Kodak Moment

See photos at: http://dmbtraveler195.blogspot.com/2...el-lozoya.html
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 01:54 AM

Keep it coming!
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Kimhe,

I will ... Segovia, Toledo and a bit more to follow soon, I promise!
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ttt for later
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Spain, Drive To Ayllon And Sofia

A short drive along a bypass road and soon I am back on A1. After my last delightful detour, I am not shy about leaving A1 again. I am becoming more and more comfortable with the Spanish countryside. My VW and I have figured out that there's more than one way to get to Pamplona and we are not afraid to try a few of them.

Our first opportunity comes at N110 where we exit for Soria. Alone with our thoughts, it is not long before we are captivated with rolling hills, blue skies and a vibrant green landscape which is supported by a bright red soil.

N110 is a comfortable road to drive with good signage and nice scenery. I pass buses headed to Pamplona and I am reassured that I am heading generally in the right direction.

Listening to a local radio, I know Nicolas Cage is somewhere in Las Vegas. Except that I gather the songs has something to do with relationships or love, I am at a lost.

Most areas of the road has a 110-120 kmh speed limit which is pleasantly reduced as I pass through sleepy and almost isolated towns. My spirit of mobility gives me the chance to stop and enjoy some of them as bus loads of tourists now pass me by.

One such stop is in Ayllon, a cool medieval village first occupied by The Celts. After crossing a Roman Bridge now popular with a flock of swans, I park nearby. Walking to the village, I enter through a Roman Arch which use to be a part of Contreras Palace built in 1497.

Ayllon has a neat “Plaza Mayor” and I find shade from the beating sun as I browse shops and restaurants with cool colorful bead doors. Here is also home to Church of San Miguel which has a huge bird nest at the top of one of it's steeples.

As I stroll narrow streets, Spanish flags hang from many home and buildings as locals show their support for Espana at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

It is a slow walk back to my car as I wish I could join an older gentleman that seems to have little worries as he enjoys listening to a sports game.

For photos:

http://dmbtraveler195.blogspot.com/2...and-sofia.html
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Spain, I Have Found Osma!

I am excited. I am going to be rich. I think I have found where America's Most Wanted has been hiding. With at least a $25 million reward, Rick James is not going to have anything on me.

Even the VW can hardly contain itself as the speedometer needle goes places it has not boldly gone before. The kilometers are flying by. I now wish I had one of those GSM phone to call for back up but this seems like a mission I must accomplish alone.

Thank goodness it is not impossible.

I can't believe my luck. Signs are pointing to Osma everywhere. Are these people crazy? Bienvenidos? I quietly roll into and begin my search only to discover there are no caves to hide a coward.

All I find is a sleepy town. A bus station. And a public square where there is free public Wi-Fi and a place to buy ice cream!

Can someone get me Vanna White on the phone, I think I need to buy a vowel.

Photos at: http://dmbtraveler195.blogspot.com/2...ound-osma.html
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Love the report and the blog!
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM

fun report!
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,

Nepenthe and licasanova. Still more to come!
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Spain, On To Pamplona

Disappointed in my failure to capture America's Most Wanted but thankful I still have my good looks, I leave El Burgo de Osma and press on to Pamplona.

Back on N110, I am greeted by more scenery that makes my mission disappointment quickly fade away. Through Soria, I join N122 then N113 by passing AP15 a toll road that is faster to Pamplona but I fear less scenic.

This route offers many opportunities for “road less traveled” adventures to Castles, Churches and National Parks.

I can sense I am approaching Pamplona as I occasionally pass bus stops with loads of waiting passengers dressed in white outfits with red sashes and scarfs.

Cresting a hill to Pamplona, I stop to take in a sunflower view of the city. I have arrived. Let the fireworks begin!
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

In Pamplona, No Bull Sh--, The Party Has Begun!

After an almost 415Km, 8 hour leisurely drive from Madrid, I arrive in Pamplona excited to “Run With The Bulls”, maybe?

Interestingly, on my flight to Madrid an article in Delta's Sky Magazine listed as the number one group activity to see or participate in, you guessed it. Running With The Bulls in Pamplona, Spain!

If I survive tonight's festivities, I will (might) face that challenge at 8:00 am tomorrow. For now, I am beginning my mental preparations and hope to soon start my physical conditioning. OK, that’s one beer curl, I know I can do at least 5 more.

I know I am approaching Pamplona long before I arrive as I see people in cars and at bus stops gearing up or already dressed in the traditional festival attire. I don't make too much of a fashion statement as I purchase a scarf for E$2.50. I later learn that a store next door I could have purchased a complete outfit for E$13.00, shucks!

With my new scarf it is not long before I am fitting right in and meet Carlos and his girlfriend Laura.
A stop a local bar and for E$3.50, I am introduced to“Calimocho”. Calimocho is a local drink that mixes red wine with Coke. We enjoy our Calimochos with good conversation including English and Spanish lessons. Afterward Carlos and Laura head off to find friends “Lost In Pamplona”.

My night is off to a good start. Unless you see me on CNN, I will update this blog soon after I finish my last “Calimocho” and I promise that's no Bull Sh--!

Photo at:
http://dmbtraveler195.blogspot.com/2...has-begun.html