A Few Questions About Oxford

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be spending three nights in Oxford next month, and have a few questions.

Anyone have a hotel recommendation? We'd like someplace central to the colleges and the Ashmolean. £225 a night is our upper end, less is better.

We plan to arrive by coach after a few days in London. Would a couple of suitcases and smaller bags pose a problem?

Upon arrival, I want to rent a car and head out to the Cotswolds for a few days. Is there a car rental agency in a convenient location, easy to leave from and return?

Lastly, we have a 1:30 PM flight back to the US. Can we rely on the 9:00 AM coach to get us to Heathrow on time (on a Monday morning).

Many thanks.

FD
Old May 14th, 2018, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been staying at The Randolph for some years now but afraid it's not within your budget. I lived in Oxford and have been returning almost every year so am familiar with the place. I would suggest you have a look at The Buttery. It's very centrally located on Broad Street and about a 5 minutes walk to Gloucester Green Bus Station. It gets good reviews. Another option is the Marlborough House Hotel B&B. It's located on Woodstock Rd. and buses run frequently which will get you to Oxford Centre in about 20 minutes. Haven't stayed at either but feel safe recommending them.

There should be no problem with your luggage on the bus as long as you can manage it. The driver will store your larger bags and you can take smaller bags etc. with you to seats and store overhead.

Afraid there are no rental car location within easy reach of bus station or centre Oxford. You will have to have a taxi take you to rental location. There are always taxis at Gloucester Green.

I think you might be cutting your departure time a bit short. I always assume I need to be at airport 3 hours prior to international departure. Usually this allows me plenty of time. I'd rather have some extra time for shopping, getting a bite to eat or just reading a book than finding I was short on time and racing to terminal etc. The bus from Oxford to LHR takes about 90 minutes so by leaving at 9:00 AM you don't leave yourself much cushion. I'd feel better departing 20 minutes earlier.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I can personally recommend The Buttery, I always stay there. Up side, right in the center, walking distance to bus & train as mentioned above, reasonably priced. Possible down side, it's very vertical, no elevator. But if that isn't a problem there is no better location. The Buttery 4 Star Guest Accommodation, Broad Street, Oxford
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your budget is a bit low for central Oxford - but the Buttery does fit. However -- it is also VERY popular so at this late date there may be no availability. Just out of curiosity and not knowing your dates, I plugged in about 8 different days in June and early July and none have openings.

A thought -- instead of staying IN Oxford where rooms can be pricey and sold out, maybe stay out in a nearby village or town. Burford, Chipping Norton, Woodstock, Charlbury would all be within easy day tripping of Oxford. Then I'd drive the car to LHR and drop it there.
Old May 15th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Yes, I found my budget a bit low, so upped it and found a room at the Malmaison. I hope it's alright. None of those recommended above were available for our dates. (Except The Randolph, which was much more expensive, as warned.)

We'll be spending time in the Cotswolds and wanted a few days in the city itself, which we have only day tripped to in the past.

Thanks too for the logistical information.

FD

Last edited by Fra_Diavolo; May 15th, 2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old May 15th, 2018, 06:23 AM

Have you checked for your dates on Airbnb? There are any number of cottages & apartments, even a river boat, well within your budget.
Old May 15th, 2018, 06:28 AM

>> . . . found a room at the Malmaison. I hope it's alright<<

It is fine.

I'm confused a bit - are you taking a coach to Oxford, only to immediately rent a car and head out to the Cotswolds, returning later to Oxford to stay and then back to LHR? If so -- either I'd rent a car at LHR and drive to the Cotswolds, afterwards drive to Oxford and drop the car and stay. OR - you could take the train to Oxford Parkway station (it is not IN Oxford but midway to Woodstock) and book through Enterprise at Oxford airport. They will deliver the car to you at the station or it is a short cab ride. Then drop the car back there and it is a 10 minute train ride into the city centre.

Central Oxford is not the easiest place to collect a car - especially when arriving by bus.
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Janis -- thanks for those ideas, either of which should be smoother than what I'd planned. I think I'll go with the second.

Mme -- Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still not really comfortable with the apt rental, and Airbnb. Should get over it, I know!
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Mme -- Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still not really comfortable with the apt rental, and Airbnb. Should get over it, I know!
You will, Fra_D, when the time is right. In the meantime, it's only money.
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Fra_Diavolo
I would never tell you to get over something that you aren't comfortable with but if and when the time comes when renting seems right to you, I will suggest Flipkey, because their policies are excellent. They have a toll free number where one of their (IME) excellent customer service reps will discuss their guarantees.

Flipkey.com
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Why not keep car and drive to Heathrow early that day and return car there? Historytraveler makes good points about the 9 am bus.
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:49 AM

FraDiavolo -- just to make sure. I meant take the train from London to Oxford Parkway, and not to take the coach to Oxford and then a train to Oxford Parkway. I don't think I was completely clear.

>>Why not keep car and drive to Heathrow early that day and return car there?<<

They are staying in Oxford before traveling to LHR. What would you suggest they do with a car in Oxford/at Malmaison???
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Well maybe stay in Oggsford at first then take car to Cotswolds and go from there to airport?
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi janis -- I think I got it straight from your first post, but thanks for the clarification.

Pal -- I want to minimize my driving. I hate (X3) driving overseas. I can't wait 'til I'm seventy and they won't rent to me! I see no reason to pay car rental for days in a city where it's unnecessary. Hotels are booked and I ain't a gonna change 'em. But thanks for the ideas.
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:24 PM

>>I can't wait 'til I'm seventy and they won't rent to me! <<

Urban myth. Easy to rent over age 70 . . . You won't be off the hook then