Good base outside of London for three nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just when we thought we had it all figured out, a change in the plans comes along! My husband and I, and now our two grown children, will be flying to London the last week in April. Problem is, the kids can only stay for one week while we have two. Staying with family in London for the latter half of the first week so we need to have another destination to explore for the first half. Thinking of the Cotswolds and wondering if anyone can suggest a good base for exploring the area. Also, we probably won't be arriving LHR until the evening. Any other suggestions on where to spend our first night that is not too far would be greatly appreciated. I seem to remember reading that Windsor would be a good option. If so, that really just leaves two nights for somewhere else. We would be renting a car so getting around isn't a problem. Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, forgot to mention we would love to be able to cycle some of the Cotswolds, weather permitting, if this makes a difference to where a good base would be. Currently looking at Burford as a possibility. Cheerio!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Take a look at Cheltenham. I have stayed there a couple of times and done side trips into the Cotswalds. I like the town,there are plenty of shopping and dining options there.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM

I suggest Cheltenham too, and also Cirencester or Tetbury, especially if you want to see Bath as well. Bibury is lovely and has the Swan and the Bibury Court Hotel.

Cirencester (Bibury is minutes away) is barely an hour and a half from Heathrow airport (and an easy motorway and dual carriageway drive), so the south Cotswolds are not impossible when you arrive.

I can suggest further hotels in the Cheltenham/Cirencester area if you decide to stay in that area.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Would you want to get straight off a flight and straight behind the wheel of a car? If not there is a regular bus service to Oxford from Heathrow Airport (every 20 to 30 minutes, journey time approx. 70 minutes). Find a hotel within the city and use it as a base to tour the Cotswolds. Oxford has a number of car rental agencies located near the railway station. Burford, the self proclaimed 'gateway to the Cotswolds'is just 20 miles further on.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions which I will check into and let you know if I have further questions. Appreciate the info. and also the idea of a bus to Oxford is an option I wasn't aware of. Many thanks again!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Well now we are down to just two nights in the Cotswolds - I guess it's good to be flexible but plans changing really drive me nuts! Anywho, we would still love to stay in the Cotswolds and are now arriving early in the a.m. so driving there won't be a big problem. If anyone has suggestions on accommodation we love quaint,charming but comfortable B&B's. Anywhere near or in Cheltenham and surrounding area that has good pubs (Duh! Isn't that all of England?!)would be great. We aren't opposed to staying in wee villages either if anyone has a favourite. Thanks again - I obviously need alot of help!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, I prefer your first idea - Burford. Or a bit north of there in one of the Slaughters. Or maybe Stow-on-th-Wold. These are more central and you could cycle to a lot of nearby villages. Cheltenham is quite a large town.

I like Burford because it isn't "twee" but is still most definitely a Cotswold village. There are is a wonderfil Wool Church, several hotels and B&Bs plus pubs, restaurants, shops. and it's at a crossroads w/ easy access all directions.

A lot depends on your budget - there are couple of really nice hotels - but a bit pricey. Check out this one http://www.burford-house.co.uk/

But there are also several that will run a lot less.

Such as this one outside of town towards the east. http://www.holwellmanor.co.uk/
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

janisj thanks for your reply. As well as the other responses, I was hoping you might have some suggestions. I think we are more inclined to stay in a smaller town so appreciate the info. you gave. Burford House looks fantastic but is a bit out of our range. Holwell Manor is just the type of place we love and is within our budget - just wondering how far it is to a watering hole and if its proximity to the A40 is a noise factor (not sure if you have actually stayed here but it looks lovely). Any other B&B's in Burford or the like would be great if you know of some. A big THANK YOU once again. It's hard to imagine travel planning before this forum came along!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't stayed there (I used to live in the general area and when I return I prefer to rent a cottage for a week at a time).

Don't worry about noise from the A40 - their map is not to scale and the manor is not adjacent to the road.

Howell is just a small hamlet and I don't think there is a pub. But it is quite close to Burford - just a bit over a mile.

But if you want to be in the village center, there are several B&Bs. This site has a good one -- the Old Bell Foundry. http://www.kayukay.co.uk/burfordbandb.html

I don't think she has an individual website but does have e-mail. It is in the cebter of the village (but not on the busy main street) and close to the church and river. I often stay just down the road from this and it is a good location.

If you want to stay in the town and walking distance from pubs/restaurants the Foundry would be good. But Howell Manor would be lovely.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj, I checked into the Old Bell Foundry and they only have one room which wouldn't quite suit. Will see what other B&B's are in the area and go from there - Howell Manor would be great. Would prefer to be within walking distance of town so will see what else might be good.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Check out Bakewell and the surroundings. There is the most beautiful historic home.. Chatsworth