A different ATM Question

Oct 27th, 1999, 06:43 PM
MarkJ

A different ATM Question

If I use my ATM card in Europe will I have access to all accounts tied to my ATM card or only one account?

Thanks

MarkJ

Oct 27th, 1999, 07:12 PM
Donna

In my experience, you have access ONLY to your primary account. Once in a while (sometimes in an airport), you are offered a choice of checking or savings. So, know which of your accounts is primary. Some banks will issue a second or third ATM card with a different account as primary on each, but others (notably credit unions) will not. If your bank does this, you could have one card with your checking account primary and another with your savings account as primary. I usually take a second card, just in case I lose the first or the magnetic strip is compromised, with my savings account as primary as a backup.

Oct 27th, 1999, 10:24 PM
Tara

In addition to the above, be advised that sometimes, but not always, you are given a language choice at the ATM's in Europe. It will be perlexing enough to figure out just how to complete a transaction, much less select an account (which is hardly ever an option). If you're not fluent in the local language, you'll be doing fine to grab a bit of cash from your primary account!

Oct 28th, 1999, 03:04 AM
Mike Miller

Every ATM I used in Italy offered the option of instructions in English. Can't speak for anywhere else.

Oct 28th, 1999, 05:51 AM
Beth

we did come across one ATM in Italy (in Florence) that did not offer English. But that was one out of many. We were never able to get access to anything other than our primary (checking) bank account. But the bank may be able to help you with that question too. I believe they can change which account is the "primary".

Oct 28th, 1999, 07:30 AM
Maribel

In my experience of using my ATM for the past 8 years in Europe, the only access available is to your "primary" or checking accout. You will not be able to take money from your saviings account. In Italy, Spain, Portugal and FranceI've always found ATMs with instructions in English.