A Day Near Malpensa

Search

A Day Near Malpensa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Day Near Malpensa

My wife and I and 3 teenage boys are in Italy in June. We've got a 7am flight from Malpensa. Any suggestions on places to stay within 1h of the airport for a day before? Any nice lake towns nearby? Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
We had the same flight time in October. As we had fallen in love with Lake Como at the beginning of our trip, we decided to end our trip in the same place (specifically Lenno), and so we hired the manager of our hotel to drive us to Malpensa early in the morning (they do it all the time.) The cost of the drive was worth every penny, too, especially considering the cost of hotels in Milan. Made our "last night" so much nicer than if we'd stayed nearer the airport.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lucie. We have a car, so the ride is no problem. Is Lenno a town or hotel? OK for kids? Do you have any info or websites?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I mapquested Lenno but it seems a little far for an early flight. Do you know anything about the Lago Maggiore towns? Looks closer to the airport.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM

Lenno is the tiniest (and, in my opinion, most lovely!) village in the middle area of the lake. Albergo Lenno is the hotel, right on the water's edge, very romantic and peaceful. I do NOT know that I'd say it's for teenage boys -- certainly not mine at that age -- but I don't know your kids! It was a quick 45-minute drive from door to door at that hour of the morning.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM

hello jalexp, you might want to check out Stresa which is on the west side of Lake Maggiore. Stresa is pretty much due north of Malpensa Airport. Here is their official website to give you an idea as to what it has to offer. http://www.stresa.org/eng/index.html

All the teens in our family have all loved Stresa and also the ferry rides to the islands (just short ferry rides btw)
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM

It's not that easy to find your way around in returning your rental car, so you're going to lose some time doing that. The good news is that you'll be on the road early, before the traffic builds up.

If your purpose is just to be close and not necessarily to sight-see, then Sesto Callende would be best, IMO. However, for a pleasant final afternoon, Orta S. Giulio would be my suggestion.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Lenno sounds like a great place when we return without the kids Lucie. I appreciate the suggestion. I'm a little fearful about the early drive.
I checked out Stresa LoveItaly. Looks like exactly what we need. Close, plenty of hotels and activities to wear my kids out for a day. Thanks for the website too.
I appreciate the heads-up on the rental return Tuck. I'll leave plenty of time.
Thanks all.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM

My main point was to encourage you not to feel compelled to stay near Malpensa -- Lenno was simply an example. I'm glad the others chimed in with more appropriate-for-you info! Have a great trip.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Can I tag onto this thread with a slightly related (or mostly OT) question?

Anybody know how miserable/okay the weather around L. Maggiore might be in mid-late March? Flying into MXP and out of Zurich a week later and am toying with several Italian/Swiss/French alternatives for 4 nights or so. Will be driving all or most of the way, possibly train from Italy to ZRH.

Thanks for any insights.