A day in Stavoren

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day in Stavoren

We are taking a day trip to Stavoren from Amsterdam this summer. We are taking the ferry from Enkhuizen to Stavoren. I looked online for some information about Stavoren, but didn't find much.

Has anyone ever been there? Any information would help. And, also does anyone have any pictures from Stavoren they would like to share. I just want to get more of sense of what it will be like.

Thank You!
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Most of the websites are only in Dutch or in Dutch and German.
Stavoren claims to be the oldest city in the Netherlands, but nowadays it is a very small village. It has a small museum.
If I were you I would contact the VVV (tourist information office) there and ask for information in English, [email protected].
I would suggest maybe hiring bikes and exploring along the IJsselmeer coast a bit, maybe going to Hindeloopen and Makkum, or consider the 'buurtveer' a boat that will take you through the countryside, or on Wednesdays to Hindelopen. You need to book that in advance though. I'm not sure how it ties in to the Enkhuizen ferry. The Buurtveer leaves at 10.15 and returns at 17.00. The VVV can help you with that too. send them an e-mail and I am sure they will be very happy to help.
If it is a nice day you can always swim in the IJsselmeer and just enjoy the weather!
Sorry I don't have any photos of Stavoren but if you go to www.stavoren.nl and click on Omgeving there are a couple of photos. Enjoy beautiful Friesland!
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:37 AM

I've only passed through it, but it's only a small place. The ferry was once a year-round service with connecting trains on both sides, and you can still get a train on from Stavoren to Sneek and Leeuwarden. The ferry is now run by V&O Rederij (www.veerboot.info) and www.stavoren.nl has information about Stavoren (in Dutch and German).
Enkhuizen is bigger and more interesting with the Zuiderzeemuseum (www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl). There is also a summer ferry to Urk which is a very distinctive old port, and a boat from Enkhuizen to Medemblik which connects with the steam trains between Hoorn and Medemblik (www.museumstoomtram.nl).
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:51 AM

You are going to Stavoren and asking why, did I get that right? ....

Well, I've never heard of Stavoren, but I would recommend a trip to the gorgeous town of Kinderdijk, about an hour of Amsterdam. An amazing sight of old windmills lining a beautiful canal boardwalk. I was there in November and it blew my mind, can't even imagine how much more beautful the town must be in the summer.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM

We visited Stavoren last summer and as others have said it is very small. While it might be the oldest city in the Netherlands, development has not been well regulated and there is a good bit of new construction along the waterfront. That said, there are some interesting shops and a restaurant / cafe overlooking the water. We had tea there and enjoyed the view very much. We did not see anywhere convenient for swimming as there is in Hindeloopen, although we didn't look very hard.

If you are only docked a couple of hours just exploring the town and surrounding area -- there are many walking paths -- will work fine. If you have longer I would take Hetismij's good advice about renting bikes or taking another boat to Hindeloopen. We found this town had much more to offer than Stavoren.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your great advice. Will definitely research some of these other great places you have told me about. Thanks!