Blemke

Amsterdam - Day Trips

Hi,
Which towns would be great to visit on day
trips that are not too touristy?
thanks

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 05:03 PM
Anne

Blemke -- We did a day trip to Delft and enjoyed it tremendously. I am a big Vermmer fan so I especially enjoyed visiting his home town. The main square and churh are very impressive. We also visited the porcelain factory where we were able to see Delft porcelain being created. You have many choices. Another is Haarlem. We made this our home base -- wonderful square with great cafes. Impressive church with an amazing organ. And, the Frans Hals art museum. A very genuine Dutch town. On another day, we rode the train to Volendam and then rented bikes and rode to Marken. Although Marken is somewhat touristy it is a colorful little fishing village and it was great fun to ride our bikes on the dikes. Then we hopped the ferry back to Volendam. Have a wonderful time whatever you decide -- you really can't go wrong.

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 11:54 PM
Sjoerd

I agree with Anne.
Other places would be:
- Den Haag (The Hague), parliament buildings, Peace Palace, Madurodam miniature village, Scheveningen beach, Mauritshuis Art Museum, Panorama Mesdag.
- Enkhuizen. Pretty small town and the Zuiderzeemuseum. Can be combined with Hoorn and/or Alkmaar.
- National Park De Hoge Veluwe and Kroeller Mueller Museum.
See: http://www.kmm.nl/

Have a great time!

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Tricia

I don't know when you are going but here a two other ideas:
http://www.circuit-rider.com/keukenhof.htm
The Keukenhof gardens are gorgeous and the tulips are abloom April/May
The Frisan Islands are gorgeous, the ferry ride over lots of fun, and islands have great little village few American see and can rent a bike and go all over. There is a wildlife refuge on Terschelling and a replica of the lodge that a ships crew built when they were shipwrecked.
see Terschelling links/photos on
www.dutchnsuch.com

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Patrick

Thanks, Anne, for the Volendam -Marken idea. It sounds perfect for what we are also looking for. Our favorite before was taking the train to Hoorn and riding out along the harbor, very pretty. And the cheese market at Alkmaar is also a lot of fun, despite being touristy. We had wine, fresh bread, and a huge hung of cheese for lunch sitting on a grassy hill overlooking the river (or canal).

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:07 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this elsewhere but thought just incase people were only looking at day trip information they might not lokk at my other post. I was in Hauge (Haag) and didnt think much of it. I had read about 'Madurodam the tiniest village in Holland where one could see miniatures. I thought Madurodam was the small village and some of the villagers made excellent miniatures. When I got there--its a short tram ride of about twenty minutes from the Hauge.I saw a huge building and red sign reading MADURODAM. In the front of it was a dike and a young man with his finger in it trying to stop the flood. I almost went back but thought I would be able to joke about it to my friends.

It cost ten euros to get it--that's for seniors-and Madurodam covers about 24,000 square feet. I went in and saw it was a huge park with excellent reproductions of some of the famous buildings, airports, highways, lakes, ships and trains in the Netherlands. But don't get the idea that it is just like a Lionel Train under the Christmas Tree. It isn't.

Also, in a special exhibit, buildings from all over the world were on display. I ws there on 9-11 and wondered why there was not a replica of the world trade center but that is another question.

The reproductions astounded me in the detailed work that went into them and the obvious care in its upkeep. They have a just-painted, just-constructed look in a well designed and clean layout.

My visit lasted about two or three hours and I noticed that there were men cleaning up and tending to the well manicured grass and trees.

It's a fun place with egrets and a bevy of black crows and when they land on a church they look like prehistoric black beast from a Spielberg film.

If you are coming to Amsterdam and environs, I think you should go visit this park. For one, you get a sense of what you will be seeing in Holland. And, I am joking in a way, you'll get a chance to photograph the perfectly-to- scale buildings.

Something you can't always do in real life. I wanted to photograph the wonderful buildings in Haarlem but couldn't do it well since a street fair with its tents obscured the buildings.

In closing, Its obvious that I do like architecture of different countries. But I wonder if anyone who doesnt would like it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: grandmere
Date: 09/11/2003, 04:24 pm
Message: I was there years and years ago and rarely hear anyone mention it. It was fascinating, and probably more so now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for an amazing flower show:

haarlem - during the floriade.

for modern architecture:

rotterdam - Rem Koolhaas' Kunsthal building, Erasmus bridge

utrecht - rietveld schroeder's house