A Boy's Idea of Fun

Jan 11th, 2001, 12:57 PM
virginia

A Boy's Idea of Fun

My 8 year old son and I are heading to Rome in February. We have two weeks to explore, no set itinerary. Anybody know any great places an outdoorsy kid would enjoy between ruinas and museums? I would love to find a labrynth! Thanks in advance. G

Jan 11th, 2001, 01:29 PM
howard

What a lucky 8-year-old! I can't help with any specific kid-friendly things in Rome. Obviously, he'll love the Colosseum and the Forum. As long as you'll be there for two weeks, I would strongly urge you to take him to Pompeii and stay overnight so you can spend several hours there. He'll love it (and so will you).

Jan 11th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Rex

Along with Pompeii, maybe Caserta too (film site of Star Wars I - "the Phantom Menace") - - see www.comune.caserta.it/news/star_ing.htm or www.toysrgus.com/travel/caserta/caserta.html for a little more info.

Jan 12th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Spanky

While not a labrynth, the catacombs are pretty cool to walk around in. One feels like you'll never get out!

Jan 12th, 2001, 09:58 AM
hamlet

Not outside - but I think it's kind of fun to walk to the top of St. Peters. The dome is neat, and so is being outside on the "roof." Of course, mom or someone else would have to make the climb too. P.S. Not recommended for claustrophobics.

Jan 12th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Shanna

Via Veneto - Chapel of BONES! Creepy, weird! Great fun for kids. But be reverent. They used to be people, after all.

Jan 12th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Ed

The "Chapel of Bones", a favorite of ours, is in the Capuchin Church near the foot of via Veneto, Santa Maria della Concezione. Fascinating rather than gruesome, a photo may be found at www.twenj.com/kids.htm#Santa

Ed

Jan 12th, 2001, 11:13 AM
rachel

I too am planning on taking my 8 yr old son to Italy (in Sept). So far I've found all the typical sites that others have listed, but have also seen articles for puppet shows and a family park. I'm definitely planning on Pompeii and the archeological museum in Naples. There's also an aquarium in Naples and a few castles. Where are you staying in Rome? Would love to hear how the trip went!