Reload this Page >

A Birthday wish takes you to Europe!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:38 AM
dln

On your birthday, you blow out all the candles on your and your favorite birthday wish--48 hours in Europe--is granted!

What country do you choose?
Is anyone with you?
Where are you staying?
Where are you dining?

Remember, it's your birthday! You can go somewhere you've already been, or somewhere you've always <i>wished</i> to go. Your special birthday concierge has made any and all reservations and your expense account is unlimited. You may bring as many people as you like, or none at all.

Remember, it's your birthday; knock yourselves out!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:47 AM
dln

PS When you make your wish, you are instantly there. NO jet lag.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan. Always wanted to go, still plan to go, but would love the unlimited funds, not to mention no jet lag.

Thanks for the birthday wish, dln! ha!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Duh...you mean in EUROPE! Well, that will take some more thought since there are so many places. I'll get back to you.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Paris, Paris and Paris. I love it, can't get enough of it. I force myself to go other places and like them too but they're still not Paris.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Me too on Paris. In a heartbeat! I've been to Italy and absolutely love it, but there are days I just long to be in Paris. And I don't care where I stay as long as it's there!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Paris- at a suite at the George V- and lots of spending $$$.
Fluffy
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Only 48 hours?

Rome, toujours Rome...

My companion will be Brooke,my grandaughter and a Roman by choice...She left her Heart there since she was 7 years old , it was her first trip to Europe.

For dinner I will have a Roman specialty..&quot; Saltimbocca alla Romana&quot;

Well it is nice to dream.. to think I was there june 19 and already want to go back again!!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Staying at Rufflets outside St Andrews and dining at Peat Inn.

Rufflets isn't the poshest place (but it is very nice) but there are sentimental connections. And the Peat Inn is where I have had 2 of my 4 best all time meals.

For places I haven't yet been - probably somewhere on the Amalfi Coast but I'll have to do more research.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:19 AM

I'd pack up my boxing gloves, grab my girlfriend (gently), and head back to the most magical place I've ever been: La Serenissima.

We'd stay someplace with tall windows that has a sweeping view of the aptly-named Grand Canal.

And we'd dine in.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:27 AM

48 hours is not enough; but if you made me, the Hotel Splendido at Portofino with my husband.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:16 AM

OH, DIN
What a marvelous idea...I especially like the addendum...no jet lag!!

If I could magically arrive &amp; throw open the shutters...umm let's see.......
We'd greet the early morning mist of Venezia!! My birthday is mid-November, so if I'm lucky it'll be hours before the mauve haze lifts....
AND as long as I'm really dreaming...We'd have a boat of our own...and explore all the back canals...so I guess part of this daydream has to include another little wish... NO ONE ELSE IS ON THE CANAL. Holy night...what am I doing? ....................greedy
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:24 AM

my birthday is only days away. I would love to be in Paris with my 9 yr. old daughter. It is a dream to re experienc Paris through her eyes.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:38 AM

As much as I love every place I've been in Europe, and would love to return to all of them, I would have to use this wish to visit some place new. After all, there's still so much to see out there.

My wish (one of many) would be to spend time in a beautiful villa overlooking the Mediterranean Sea in Greece. My companion would be my wonderful husband, and our villa would quite luxurious with a spectacular view.

Of course, we would have the most fabulous meal out on the first night, with an equally enjoyable meal on our veranda the second night, along with both sightseeing and relaxation during the 48 hours.

Ahhh....nice to dream. Can't we have more time dln?

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Calamari, if you haven't read it, you might enjoy an article in the March 2000 issue of National Geographic Traveler called &quot;The Gift of Paris&quot;. It's the reverse of your wish, where a daughter gets to experience Paris through the eyes of her mother, who had never been there before.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ev.../pr000306.html
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Capo. Thank you for that recommendation. I will check that out.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Venice.
I will bring my Yankee with me. Pup hates gondolas.
I think we would stay in the most expensive hotel on the canal.
second choice.
Paris.
the whole family including Pup. We will stay at the Plaza Crillon.
We would eat at some old favorites and my birthday dinner would be at Le Tour d'Argent? with the view..
I need more time to be sure of hotels and restaurants. My birthday is in March, so I will get back to you~
Can I get younger too?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:28 AM

LOL, that is ...
We will stay at the Crillon. Originally I thought the Plaza Athene, but I like the location of the Crillon
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I'd either want to go to a romantic place with my lovely hubby and stay in a wonderful hotel - a luxurious one for sure with a huge suite but with none of that stuffy service from staff who think they are a step above half their clientele...

Maybe back to Venice or perhaps somewhere new.

Or the other option would be a trip with lots of friends and family staying in one or more neighbouring Moroccan riads (yes I know it's not Europe but it's pretty close so I'm only cheating a little bit!) - we'd have wonderful dining experiences, shop, laugh, relax. The riad would be a quirky but luxurious one with it's own pool in the best of location...

Of course, if this was worldwide I'd be taking a trip straight back to Africa, probably to the red dunes of Namibia. Happily I only have to wait another 9 months to get there without the birthday wish magic!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Surfrider

... let me shake off my LA &quot;red eye&quot; cobwebs and join the fun. I know, gather together all the people who mean something to me, open some wine and let them decide. Only conditions - a place far away, expensive, and no one has been there before, or will return ever again. Once in a lifetome thrill and pleasure for us all, but mostly just being together. Or perhaps we'll simply hang out for a few days and make the Dominos guys rich!! While we groove on For Love or Money, 'cause Erin is down to three, and whoa ... Rob is back!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -