Reload this Page >

A belated thank-you...

Search

A belated thank-you...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Michelle

A belated thank-you...

Dear Fodorites,<BR><BR>I just wanted to thank everyone for helping my family and I plan a wonderful trip to Paris at the end of August! We spent a week at Hotel de la Bourdonnais near the Eiffel Tower (would recommend, breakfast good way to start off the day, desk most helpful to ALL my various inquiries, we had a lovely room with A/C). At the end of the week we were UNDER budget and ended up shopping with the extra money! Thanks to those who provided email attachments per request, and sightseeing tips. We purchased a musee carte for 3 days, and it was well worth the price. I truly had a magical vacation with my family- it's not often these days that we all find the time to travel together (I am away at college and my brother is in the "don't want to have anything to do with my family stage" of adolescence). Le grand epicerie near Bon Marche was one of our favorite places to eat! We loved our picnics and the ouefs de samon and this other stuffed avocado thing (stuffed with crab). Our day trips into the Loire Valley and Versailes were also spectacular. None of us spoke French, although I learned a few polite phrases...I am alas, one of those annoying tourists who need people to speak anglais...but people were very kind. A week in Paris was the best vacation our family ever had! Cheers to everyone who takes the time out to help other travelers on this forum.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Betsy

Hi Michelle<BR><BR>Thanks so much for taking the time to say thank-you. I read your post with a smile and think you are so sweet to get back to us. Sounds like your family had a great time despite your brother's stage of adolescence! <BR><BR>I love Le Grand Epicerie too. I was there just last week and mentioned to my husband today that when I go back to Europe I want to return to Rome and to Le Grand Epicerie.<BR><BR>Have you decided which European country to visit next?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:48 PM
cdf

Michelle, it is so good to hear about happy travels I can never get enough of Paris, so it is always interesting to me to read about others adventures-Did you take a Bateau Mouche? We have gone to Paris for 6 years now-and every year I want to go on a ride on the Seine, and I still haven't gotten around to it..ah well, more reasons to go back~tell us more about the Loire and where did you picnic? I try so hard to speak my pathetic French to everyone I meet, and they always smile (it probably does sound funny) then they answer me in English-Tell us more~C

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Leslie

Michelle, I am so glad that you were able to enjoy a family vacation, especially in Paris. I can recall what it was like when I was in college and then returning home to go on a family vacation with my younger brother and sister. <BR><BR>I'm glad you were able to take the time during your busy schedule to say thanks. I'm sure that you are going to classes, studying, socializing, and trying to keep in contact with your family and friends from home. But it is so nice that you took the time to return to the Fodors forum.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Michelle

I'm still on the forum searching through its many threads for my next trip- Betsy, I'm headed to Italy to visit a friend in a couple weeks! Didn't expect answers, but thanks for the kind/entertaining interactions with my post. It gives me the chance to say to all those who are welcoming that I appreciate it. (I don't keep up too often and post randomly, though, just to warn away others who think belated reports are bad. Hence, my thank you post. Just got off the phone with my mom, who wishes I was home and likes to talk about our last week before I left- our week in Paris). If in the future, I don't reply to your posts, sorry about that! I will probably randomly show up in another 3 months past- or heaven forbid, a year from now when I might have something to contribute from my travels.<BR><BR>C, I took the Bateaux the first time I was in Paris with a group of friends, but this second time we took the Pont Neuf along the Seine. I don't know if all the boats are the same, but ours was garlanded beautifully. It's beautiful at night, but sometimes I am amused thinking about Siene in its disgusting glory of the past...ahh, the history behind most of Europe, it makes even the least romantic topics interesting to learn about. Loire Valley was gorgeous, but I have a weakness for 18th century decorative art, so Versailles was the best treat among chateaux! We visited Chenonceau, which boasted stories of Catherine de Medici; Ceverny, a hunting grounds- I saw more antlers in one room there than I had in my entire life; and Chambord, which was my favorite of the three- stunning view from the top, a cool rooftop to the castle, and nice spiral stairs inside, a guy in period dress playing a mandolin and holding the equivalent to a "story time" for all who would listen. We did three in one day, just because we wanted to see what the chateux valley was all about, and it was worth it. Thank goodness we went there before Versailles, though. Otherwise my family would have been disappointed in the lackluster (compared to the ornate, expensive, lavish furnishings of Louis' abode). As for our picnic, we just found random parks in neighborhoods we strolled through. We weren't sure if that was a kosher thing to do, but the police officer in one park didn't approach us, so we enjoyed good food on the lawns of a park/playground, where we saw local families playing and people stopping to read a newspaper or rest. One of the parks I remember because it was right by Bon Marche. Nothing special, certainly not Luxembourg gardens, but just right for our tired feet and hungry tummies. <BR><BR>Happy and safe travels to everyone!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Patrick

Michelle, in case you didn't see it, I had already posted a response to this. The first post after yours was a horribly rude insult about you being belated, and I then answered to say thank you for posting, belated or not. I guess Fodor's saw fit to edit out my response since it related to one that they rightfully should have omitted. In any case, I agree. It is always nice to hear back from people. I often wonder what happened with so many people who have sought and received advice on this forum but we never hear from again. Sounds like you had a great time.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:17 AM
topper

topping -

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Sally

Michelle and Betsy: What is the Le Grand Epicerie and where is it? Thanks.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Betsy

Sally<BR><BR>Le Grand Epicerie is the Bon Marche's food department. It's in a separate building across a narrow street from the main store. It's food heaven--filled with specialty items from around the world. Goodies that you can take home and goodies to take out and eat in Paris. For me, a trip to Paris would be incomplete without going there. I salivate just thinking about it. Galleries Lafayette has a comparable (smaller?) department.