December Weather in Amsterdam/Brussels

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Dave

December Weather in Amsterdam/Brussels

Considering visiting Amsterdam & Brussels in late December (Dec. 26-31). Some questions:
1. Is anything in Amsterdam open on Boxing Day (Dec. 26)?
2. I know the weather is cold, and the days short, but is the weather overly oppressive?
3. Any recommended B&B's in the city centers?
Any other advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Sjoerd

1. All museums, most bars and restaurants and some shops in Amsterdam are open on 25 and 26 December. Public transport runs a Sunday schedule.
2. Weather can be quite nice if you are lucky to miserable when you are unlucky. Most likely between 0 C and 5 C, but the wind can make it "feel" colder.

The week between Christmas and New Year's is an excellent (and popular!) time to visit Amsterdam. Very festive atmosphere and lots of things going on. Book soon as there are always many tourists that week.

Nov 12th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Kay

Some hotel holiday specials available on bookings.nl

Nov 12th, 2001, 03:04 PM
xxx

Try weather.com or wunderground.com. Unfortunately, I don't think they have a scale for measuring oppresiveness.

Nov 12th, 2001, 10:45 PM
lisa

I've been to Brussels many times. Even in December it's not particularily cold. It does rain two out of every three days in Belgium. So bring a raincoat and an umbrella! But the rain is usually intermittant so it shouldn't upset your travel plans too much. Be sure that you take a long walk in one of Brussels lovely parks. Have a great time.

Nov 13th, 2001, 08:22 AM
?

?